The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this site and new to reloading,i bought 500 .38/.357 rainier plated bullets,i thought i was buying fmj since then i learned they are plated and cannot be ran as fast as fmj, does anyone know how fast i can load them without leading the barrel? Thank's.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Powder Burner:

You can safely run them between cast bullet velocities and FMJ velocities but I keep them below 1000 FPS. A cautious reloader would run them at cast bullet velocities. High velocity for pistol bullets is over rated, especially for target shooting or plinking.

LDBennett

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ramshot powders lists data for plated bullets for many of their calibers. I use zip and 165 gr rainier in my glock 40. Good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
And, don't worry, they won't cause leading. The problem with plated bullets is that high velocities the plating can separate from the core and your accuracy will go to pot.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have run the rainier at near max without issue. I dont recommend to come out of the gate loading max, however the Rainier 158's and a near max charge of 2400 is ragged hole shooter out of a 4" GP100.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
shot bazillions of 'em in .357, .40 and .45 they are fine. Just stay within the published loading data and you will be fine with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts