The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one and what are your feelings about it. Is there a perfered cal and average prices. I have to chance to pick one up, but will have to hurry to get it and need as much info as I can get in a short time

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
I was over at the PX at Fort Gordon, GA, a few months ago. I discovered that they sold guns. I saw that they had a Ranch hand and I had been wanting one ever since I saw them. I had really been wanting one in .45 Colt but the only ones they had were in .44 Magnum. This strong impulse took over my body and I bought one of them. I paid $444 for it. When I got it home, I looked at it and thought to my self "what in the world am I going to do with this thing". A few days later, I traded it off for something I thought I could use, and now I can't even remember what I traded it for.

Maybe, if I had gotten one in .45 like I originally wanted, I might have kept it. Looking back at that purchase and that gun, I can see that it is truly not practical for anything. It is a playpurty and may be fun to shoot but I owned one for about 5 days and did not put a round through it. If I had the chance to do it over again and took time to think before jumping, I would not have bought it at all.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
OK, I'm sorry, you mean the Mini-14 and the Mini-30 Ranch Rifles. I have owned one of each of them, too. I kept them a lot longer than the Ranch Hand. I consider both of them to be fine rifles but they were not known for their accuracy in times past. The newer ones may be better but there are "accuracy kits" that can be bought to improve their accuracy, I remember Josh (JLA) showing one a while back that he had put on his Mini.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
$869 sounds a little high to me, but it was several years ago that I bought one. I would suggest that you check places like Bud's Gun shop and the auction sites to see what they are going for.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I was watching gallery of guns on TV, I was surprised how nice...and expensive these little guns are.

Item #024117103
BRAND: Browning
MODEL: BL-22... .22LR 33" 4.95 lbs.
TYPE: Rifle
CALIBER: 22LR
FINISH: Blue
# AVAIL: 34
MSRP:$619.99

To get at my local gun shop:

Fees to FFL: $15.95
Taxes: $33.75
Total: $549.70

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Oh on the Browning, light and expensive gun....cheap ammo. :)

·
Banned
45 Posts
I've owned two Ruger ranch rifles and an older Ruger mini-14. Solidly built and reliable operation. OK accuracy. The newer ranch rifle was definitely more accurate than the older gun. And if you're into that sort of thing, there are LOTS of aftermarket accessories and stuff for the Ruger.

I would recommend the .223/5.56 version over the .30/7.62 version. You may want to check out the thread on M1 Carbine vs Mini-14. It has a sub thread comparing the 7.62x39 and the 5.56x45.

I'm partial to stainless and if you can get a stainless steel gun for the same price as a blued carbon steel gun, I'd go for the stainless one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone have one and what are your feelings about it. Is there a perfered cal and average prices. I have to chance to pick one up, but will have to hurry to get it and need as much info as I can get in a short time

Are we talking the Littie Rossi Ranch Hand or something else ?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ref: Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Model - 223 Cal
Past Experence:
Excellent 100 Yard Long Guns.
Suggest using only Ruger Magazines for Zero Feeding Issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts