The Firearms Forum banner

821 - 840 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought one of those in stainless years ago when Smith and Wesson first sponsored the Masters Shooting Tournament back in 1986. I had a trigger job done and then asked a local gunsmith to lighten and flute that long barrel. I was thinking the long sight radius would help in the one handed 25 and 50 meter "Bullseye" type event and needed to pare away some of the weight. Instead, I was talked into having it slab sided and then stress relieved. My gunsmith came to regret working on that stainless barrel. He said his lathe went through too many bits on that stainless and really wished I'd bought one in blue steel. It worked, but not as well as I thought it would. The next year I used a 7" Smith and Wesson 41 which worked much better. The gunsmith wound up trading me out of the Ruger and finished the job with someone with more money to spend on refining the Ruger. All in all though, I enjoyed it while I owned it. I remember shooting shotgun shells off a rack with it at 10 or 15 yards or so. It was also a hoot to shoot in our bowling pin matches. I think that long barrel may have gave those little long rifles a little extra punch.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,891 Posts
Very nice. Good shooting. What distance?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Very nice. Good shooting. What distance?
Only seven yards. My local range is only open 2 to 6 in the bloody heat of the day:eek::mad:....so I used my five gallon sand bucket to catch a few rounds In my garage, cinder block under ground wall. No proper venting and hot. I’m sure if I’d done my part better they would have all been in the same hole. I am definitely the weak link in the chain:oops:. 50 rounds total, CCI Green tag, CCI tactical, Remington HV, CCI Suppressor and CCI Quiet. Of course Quiet doesn’t eject but it is accurate. Trigger isn’t as good as my MKII but I imagine it will smooth out after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm turning into a Springfield fan boy
1911 mil spec
911 .380
mod 2 .45 sc
mod 2 9mm sc
EMP 9mm
and now i'm trying to win a bid on a saint.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
For serious, my favorite is still my Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt. All 'round favorite is still the ol' Colt SAA....45 Colt or 32-20.

821 - 840 of 876 Posts