The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random pics from the cabinets and safes for your amusement: a mrmike08075 thread ~ #2

3 semi randomly selected firearms from my secret stash - hoard - project gun pile...
3 long arms immediately adjacent to one another in cabinet #11 selected from left to right as racked or stored...

Attached here are 3 teaser pics showing near to full length pics of all 3 items removed and staged together for side by side comparison as well as a shot that features a closer view of the actions or receivers while staged out of the cabinet prior to individual pictorial essay assembly and review of markings and special features or distinguishing characteristics...

I hope that you find the format assembly and collation of pics and data in this thread more easily consumed than my previous efforts.

I greatly look forward to your input and feedback and hope to have the chance to examine your knowledge and experience or opinion about these three particular MIL spec surplus bolt action rifles and carbines.

I am particularly fond and proud of these 3 examples.

Talk to me Goose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I like your French rifles! MAS 1936, M.1886 and a M 1916. I have found it very difficult to find an M 1886 in passable condition. Most of them were used up in WWI and some were rebuilt after the war to make carbines. Do you also have bayonets for your military bolt guns?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arguably the progenitor of all modern arms the first successful mass produced issued and fielded magazine fed bolt action repeating 3 line full length infantry rifle using center fire primed self contained self contained monolithic smokeless powder propelled cartridge with a full metal jacketed projectile...

Overnight every single military rifle / short rifle / carbine became obsolete and unworthy of front line issue even amongst 3rd world colonial militia and gendarme...

The game changer - the universal firearms big bang.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These strange in appearance and internal architecture and to many in north America to some extant strange as well as far as COO and features and functions go...

This particular variant is as most would suspect part of a family of arms based on the same action that was intended to include a full length 3 line first tier issue rifle - a carbine as most Americans would identify as simply being a shorter and lighter variant perhaps with a few cost and weight saving deleted features - and a short rifle issued to specialty close quarters support units or smaller but select and considered elite narrow focused narrowed purpose units often with specialized or additional training or responsibility - possibly with a different order of battle or primary mission goal...

IMHO / in my minds eye what first comes to mind is mountain troops or fusiliers or engineers or fixed fortification defensive / Sally port maneuver counter strike where and when unexpected small unit tactics with an advanced secondary MOS formations - sappers - mine layers - UDT - scouts - etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I like your French rifles! MAS 1936, M.1886 and a M 1916. I have found it very difficult to find an M 1886 in passable condition. Most of them were used up in WWI and some were rebuilt after the war to make carbines. Do you also have bayonets for your military bolt guns?
So you have hit on one of my ADD ADHD autistic spectrum nails right on its head...

I am so bad - so maladjusted and socially misanthropic - on such a brobdignagian scale that folks like me might not be malleable enough to be chiropracticaly manipulated back to the point I no longer scare children...

My point is that when I was 12 I attended a box and job lot mystery auction clean up and closeout end of the season charity bidding event at a local auction hall organized to benefit the local chapters of the VFW and overseas American combat vets...
I had never attended an auction before or paid the ante up fee required to be assigned a paddle allowing me to bid...

I won a box containing a bakers dozen rifle bayonets of unknown to me then - an thus a leg of the journey began.

You see I began purchasing rifles and carbines solely because I already had the bayonet already... u

It took me 9 years to locate all of the rifles that matched those bayonets - the boxer rebellion USMC issued .236 Lee Navy blade and scabbard - the US proofed and issued Ross straight pull action rifle and the Mexican contract mondragon also caused issues as the seller would not separate separate it from being sold along with its external high capacity drum magazine...

A journey through the looking glass or beyond the pale.

Clearly I am a disturbed individual and my sense of clarity has become opaque like Mr Magoo with milk glass two inch thick solar eclipse ,

=:_1

Okay - I bow humbly to your superiority.

I have my .25 acp variations arraignment displayed or stored in flat drawers in a vintage draftsman storage / document cabinet and a bakers dozen in vertical glass display cases...

You got me beat.

I now have to go wipe down my RAC 1916 and MAS 1954 and MAC 1950 and it's .32 long older brother and their neglected orphaned French designed cousins with a brownell oil or silicone cloth and tell myself I will be okay.

😠😡😉

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is only one safe, I have two smaller safes loaded with handguns but not as neat or accessible .

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few French military .22 training rifles that are rather rare if a little rough looking...

The semiautomatic RAC rifle with high cap curved extended mags and berthiers adapted to utilize RAC style magazines...

Mike

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few French military .22 training rifles that are rather rare if a little rough looking...

The semiautomatic RAC rifle with high cap curved extended mags and berthiers adapted to utilize RAC style magazines...

Mike
I sit somewhat with a copy of "proud promise" in my hand (author signed and annotated) the end table next to my coffee chair has a book of reference on military trainer .22 rifles from around the world and the standard catalog of military firearms and a half dozen others quick at
Hand should the need arise...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd like to say you have an outstanding collection of interesting firearms. Your knowledge is beyond reproach and your explanations are written in words so well used they top almost anything we can see on the web.
Me, I have a gun which is steel and wood and makes a loud boom when you pull the little lever in a loop thingy.
LOL
Keep 'em coming.
Lynn

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Very impressive.

Regarding bayonets, I find nothing unusual about getting the bayonet first and then getting a gun to go with it. This is how I came by my Peabody Martini type B rifle, I had the saber bayonet first. I have also done with with military holsters.... get the rare holster then the handgun... Other collectors I have known have confessed to doing the same thing.

Great collection. I enjoy your presentation.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all are very kind and while eventually I established a decent shooters grade numbers matching mostly intact pattern of acquisition involving mainly easily available or discernible steps based on forensic inspection and quality control examination techniques including generating a one or two page QC based data report that helped me avoid some of the most common rush to buy / to own - especially before one of you keen eyed sharks snares it it up or snatches away impatient rookie mistakes...

Because while some have observed I maintain rigidly accurate and complete one sheet or two sheet data and spec reports and keep all of the purchase paperwork and physical media ephemera and test targets in a secure labeled hanging file cabinet folder...
While I go through my several hundred firearms or military reference books and add photocopied highlighted reference work material to the folder - as well as magazine articles clippings...

While I detail strip the gun and dismount the furniture from the hardware and barreled action to expose and record and research all proof or witness or inspection or rework or arsenal repair or capture indication mark. I also test fire each gun extensively at multiple known distances from 50 to 200 yds with multiple brands types weights and vintages of as many variations of ammo I could lay my hands on and record the resultant data sets - record the results and maintain detailed field notes.

I enjoy all of the / each aspect of the process - one that continues to advance and develop as time moves forward - ownership is not a single solitary event - it develops and gets debated and shared and advanced in decent long term well run online forums.

its been my thing since I was about 12 and started working in the gunshop - an apprenticeship that advanced my knowledge base.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mr. mike, You must live in an overly complicated environment, just communicate in lay English in order for those of us who have only one graduate degree can follow. If you are well versed in the repair of firearms we shall enjoy your input. Have a blessed day on this special day.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O
I like your French rifles! MAS 1936, M.1886 and a M 1916. I have found it very difficult to find an M 1886 in passable condition. Most of them were used up in WWI and some were rebuilt after the war to make ,,carbines. Do you also have bayonets for your military bolt guns?
While I have seen some used hard during the Great Wars French military firearms and accoutrements that resulted in reduced desire and lead to reduction in value...

And while I have seen the Great cycle of collectors interest and the reputation and desires and dollar or trading value also rise and fall precipitiously especially amongst French made or issued martial arms and cutlery...

I have never understood it - my guns don't look great or look bad - don't look especially better then standard market for similar condition items from other countries...

What are you seeing that I am not???

Mike

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some additional items - I took a lockable secure steel cage high value goods storage cabinet or high value high priority shipping adult signatures and delivery confirmation sealed labeled with tracking device included inside restricted access cage from the job during a remodel at work a half dozen years ago and now have it set up and installed at home again...

Had some of the following goodies set aside in this not a gun cabinet or safe location within the residence...

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some additional items - I took a lockable secure steel cage high value goods storage cabinet or high value high priority shipping adult signatures and delivery confirmation sealed labeled with tracking device included inside restricted access cage from the job during a remodel at work a half dozen years ago and now have it set up and installed at home again...

Had some of the following goodies set aside in this not a gun cabinet or safe location within the residence...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
So many treasures! I like the French helmet collection. The Adrian helmet is very distinctive and adopted by several other countries. The crate of rifles is also interesting, what are they?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts