The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random pics from the cabinets and safes for your amusement: a mrmike08075 thread

I will keep posting random pics of guns from my stash as long as you gents allow it and enjoy it and agree to try to contribute some remarks about various firearms displayed...

I know you guys always want to see some pics and have requested I post such here - I humbly acknowledge the interest and value the feedback.

I will limit each thread to three guns if mods and admin are okay with that approach.

I will limit pics counts to 10 per gun unless a specific interest towards one gun exists and deserves its own thread in a more specific forum.

I hope this is okay with everyone.

Here is gun number one and it's a MIL spec surplus bolt action carbine from the interwar treaty of Versailles period...

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is gun number 2 a full length 3 line naval infantry issue MIL spec surplus bolt action rifles with some interesting accessories and features...

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here are the first 3 long arms from cabinet #1 starting from left to right...

I skipped a single shot break open shotguns from the 70's for now and may circle back to it / them / those later on...

Unless specifically requested to show that class of guns sooner - from old to modern...

Love on them or hate on them or praise them or ridicule them or ask any questions or post any observations - I will try to reply to all...

Mike

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes of course I can and will post full length pics or full frame pics of any guns going forward...

Right hand profile if that's okay...

If not please be specific and I will endeavor to comply.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Is there any reason why you don't say what they are?

it's a MIL spec surplus bolt action carbine
That looks like a Mauser to me, but I'm not enough of an expert to tell whether it's a 93 or a 95 or a 98 or a 1916 or what.

full length 3 line naval infantry issue MIL spec surplus bolt action rifles
Pretty sure that's a Japanese Arisaka

Then there is your repro baby rolling block. I'm 98% sure that's an Uberti, because I'm 98% sure they're the only ones that made a copy. But you don't say it's an Uberti. I'm also pretty certain that's going to be 44 magnum because that would allow you to shoot Magnum and special and Russian. If it was a 357 you could shoot Magnum and special and long colt and short colt, and that would be four centerfire rounds.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alpo...

I should have expressed myself better. I tend to post closer up pics of certain details of each gun with the expectation that you guys as a group will be able to identify them or play the nomenclature / sobriquet game as a true band of experts...

In three gun random groupings I figure that methodology would work or generate interest or be fun.

I can do it different if desired - not an issue.

The Spanish oviedo model 1916 mountain carbine (see sling hardware and front sight protection profile and roller coaster sights / butt plate) manufactured in 1922 has an interesting mix of features and somehow escaped arsenal pattern upgrades or mods - despite the mountain troop carbine not staying around long and the old style sights being replaced on everything prior to the Spanish Civil war or the second world War...

The type 99 arisaka in naval infantry spec intact and matching save the mum is spot on of course - note the stock drain holes... the leather slings and monopods and aircraft sight wings and dust covers were usually discarded by naval troops - a waxed and oiled rope sling was used often as it did not rot...

Yes it's a uberti - at least 3 companies make clones including full sized on a budget types... .357 Mag and .38 special and .38 long colt are what I feed it (I forgot about the short colt brass - I had keyhole issues at 100 yds with handloads and gave up on them)...

You guys are great and true experts.

This is the type of thread I love as the disparate opinions generate good educational debates.

Keep it coming please.

Mike

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mike you should feel very lucky you don't live next door to me , cause I would probably be bothering all the time wanting to come look at your guns !!! Very cool stuff . 👍

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooner...

Thanks. I was lucky enough to grow up working in a gunshop and often taking home firearms and ammo and accessories and estate sale stuff instead of a paycheck...

I often bought examples of guns that many collectors would frown upon or be critical of or pass over because they were not perfect or matching or mint condition or desirable...

I had a tendency to acquire three examples of each gun over time if possible - which I know is probably unusual.

As a dealer we would buy rifles from distributor companies first and cheapest and often and I would take advantage - same with estate sale items...

To make things worse I would restore or refinish or modify examples of many guns which also angered many collectors.

I would buy the hated on unwanted orphans cheap and often - some I will admit in pristine condition or rare variants. Eventually the world turns and markets change and suddenly a gun you bought for $100 that gathered dust unwanted was the hot ticket and worth a ridiculous sum.

If we were neighbors you would have borrowing privileges as long as you helped clean them afterwards and shared your opinions with me.

Once the collection exceeded 320 pieces but now hovers around 100...

Not counting .25 acp pocket pistols that is - they are like coat hangers and breed on you.

The Spanish Mauser is a great example - a bunch of stuff just looks wrong or off and it's best up externally...

And then there is that sling and the force matched arsenal replaced bolt...

And yes I ended up with 4 Spanish Mausers and then maybe a dozen Spanish pistols and a rare destroyer carbine - etc...

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sounds like for a person who likes guns you had a pretty sweet job . Wished I had grabbed 2-3-4 when were cheap . Yes sadly the days of cheap milsurps are gone and I don't see ever coming back . Hind sight is 20/20 as they say and am sure we allwished we had loaded up on the cheap Mosin , Lee Enfields ect when had the chance .

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have my cheap mosin nagants - all 3 model variants - 2 sniper rifles - and one American manufactured pre red October revolutionary war czarist double headed screaming chicken / Pontiac firebird smokey and the bandit hood logo crest still intact - a TOZ pistol favored by the NKVD - etc...

I lost control of my myself on British SMLE rifles as well ending up with 3 late standard variants and a pair of "t" type sniper rifles and a wicked ersatz colonial scout sniper variant as well as some webley revolvers...

Garand - Ross - enfield - springfield - Lee Navy - krag - for American fielded MIL spec surplus long arms...

Carcano - lebel - berthier - Turk mountain carbine - argentines - arisakas - swedes - Schmidt Rubin's - Belgians - Spaniards - OVS orange free state - Siamese - MAS 36 - etc...

Ethiopia - pre revolutionary Iran - canuks - Peruvian navy - 2REP French - Ireland - Mexico - cz - etc...

My firearms geographic lessons and historical conflict markers.

Mike

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The above sounds like a collection from heaven! The "TOZ pistol favored by the NKVD" sounds very interesting. Is this the pistol also known as the Korovin? Some images of it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the all dimensions smaller than a pack of cigarettes tula manufactured korovin designed semiautomatic pocket pistol chambered in .25 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) (6.35×15mmSR) a semi-rimmed, straight-walled centerfire pistol cartridge introduced by John Browning in 1905. An all Russian pistol and not a simple baby browning knock off or patent infringement clone built to handle a special ordnance enhanced round and favored by the NKVD and KGB for a few decades. Yes I can and will provide 10 pics and a brief synapses of its history. Relatively rate on this continent and somewhat sought after / desirable amongst the cognisenti collectors.

Consider it bumped to the top of the priority list for a post this week alongside say a jager and a CZ early prototyped design with some Franz Joseph nickel improvements - 3 pistols displayed / stored in a linear order together.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts