The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RN/Paramedic here, I'm pretty curious what others have in their range medical kit. I'll share the contents of ours, disclaimer being to not use equipment or perform procedures you aren't formally trained in or at the very least very comfortable with.

We have a range on our farm - us, family, friends, employees, and other visitors shoot pretty frequently. Instead of carrying a bag around, we installed a cabinet physically at the range that serves as our range medical kit.

Contents:
Trauma shears, S/M/L/XL exam gloves, size 9 (my size) surgical gloves, size 7.5 (my wife's size) surgical gloves, face shields, 4 CAT tourniquets, pressure bandages, celox with applicator, quikclot gauze, stypnic pencil, 8x10 abdominal gauze pads, 4x4 gauze sponges, roller gauze, packing gauze, disposable scalpel, ARS needles, chest seals, straight hemostat, kelly clamp, mosquito clamp, metzembaum scissors, needle driver, tissue forceps, 2-0/3-0 monofilament vascular suture, premixed iodine-saline-benzocaine flushes for wound irrigation, sterile saline flushes for wound/eye irrigation, stethoscope, NPA set, OPA set, pocket BVM, silver silvadene for burns, ZipStitch, Steri Strips

·
Premium Member
19,745 Posts
That is a very good idea. At my club, we have a medical kit at every range.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Good post....I have a lot of the same stuff ,run a CAT on each rifle.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Our range has a large trauma medical kit in our club house with an AED.(we have a lot of older members) It gets taken out to the range every time we have a match & put in a marked position on the range so everyone know where to run to in case of a accident.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I add mundane stuff, like ibuprofen, tape, hand sanitizer, bandaids.
Stuff like that is VERY important,90% of your basic med uses are covered. In my big med bag are bottles of Motrin,etc,box of gloves,..and specialty bandaids---knuckle and fingertip are some of the most useful med items you can have.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
1 roll ductape and a couple Tums.

·
DEPLORABLE member
1,976 Posts
Being a welder, I keep an unopened 'welder's first aid kit' in ea truck. I never thought about doing an inventory - good idea! 👍

I also keep a gal of distilled water (for eye flush), & a folding limb saw, in case a sleeve, glove, or hand - gets caught in any moving machinery.

S*R

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Usually it's a good idea to have a GI style Field Dressing as a minimum. You need to be able to apply first-aid to the most likely critical injury such as a sucking chest wound. You need to be able to stop MOST of the bleeding - but more importantly to seal this type of wound to enable lung function until medical help can be had. A gun shot to an arm or leg can be serious - even more critical if an artery is involved. Any serious injury would require immediate professional medical aid. Anyone on a public shooting range should be able and willing to render basic aid at any time.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
We have a "squad box" that goes with each squad when shooting comps. Each box has a standard med kit including blood clutter, tourniquet, gauze and tape. There is also a range bag that was set up by a trauma surgeon that shoots with us. It will handle most any event typically encountered at a shooting range plus a few others including heart attacks and snake bite.

I always have a squad box with me while at the range and have access to the range bag if needed.

·
Premium Member
10,139 Posts
🤢🤮🤢🤮🤮🤮

That right there will turn your stomach. And I didn’t spit when I used to chew Copenhagen.

·
Super Moderator
27,546 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,373 Posts
Foam earplugs should plug most wounds.

You should be banned for posting that!!
I had to wear eye protection before i posted it, and am having strange mental images now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You got a Great bag there. I have 1 in the car and house. Got my Paramedic Training 1977 (1977 to 1987 HIV started somewhere in there and when the lids came my wife said I couldn't bring home anything I couldn't eat or play with).

I always have a suture kit and will add the tampons and super glue. Forgot all about them. some of the other goodies I never heard of.

And for Joe45c. I can't unsee what you posted. I just hope I don't have nightmares tonight.

Reactions: joe45c
1 - 20 of 20 Posts