The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is going to be a range report and a product review.

I made it to the range this morning. I took the Ruger 10/22 with the new barrel and the new Zestava 7.62X39 bolt action. I was using my new Caldwell electronic ear muffs for hearing protection.

Let's start out with the Caldwell electronic hearing protection that I bought on sale ($19.99) from MidwayUSA. They did work very nicely and as it was supposed to. There was no real problem with it, when I pulled the trigger on the rifle, it muffled the shot perfectly. The microphones that allowed you to hear external sounds, such as range commands, did not work as good as I thought they should.

I have another pair of electronic muffs that my son bought for $20 at Walmart. They have the name Winchester on them but who really knows who made them. Those Walmart muffs actually performed better than the Caldwell. You could hear every sound around you clearly. My recommendation would be to go to your local Wally World and buy a pair from them.

Next is the range report on the Zestava 7.62X39. I really like this thing. There were a couple of times that the bolt failed to pick up the next round from the internal four round magazine. It happened mostly on the first round. The ammo seemed to "catch" on something right at the top and not allow it to get high enough to be picked up by the bolt. The bolt was very hard to open a few times, which could be the ammo but there was no signs of high pressure. It also could have been the new-ness of the thing. I will take the bolt apart and clean it good and put some SBGO on it. I had one failure to fire but that again could have been the ammo. I was using steel cased non-corrosive Tulammo in the black box. The primer had a really good hit but just did not fire:

Did I say that I really like this thing. Here is a "fuzzy" picture of the first five rounds that I put through it, This was at 50 yards and keep in mind that the rifle has iron sights and my eyes ain't what they used to be:

Next I moved to the 100 yard line and I fired 20 rounds at that target. This is the time that I had the FTF so if you are counting, there are only 19 holes:

I decided that it was shooting so good, that I would go down and throw a target up at 200 yards and I fired 10 rounds at that target. I don't know where the first two shots went, but then I kind of figured out the sights at that distance. You will notice that the hole at 11:00 in the 7 ring is actually two holes. Here is the results at 200 yards:

I was having so much fun that I put ten more rounds into the 50 yard target. I think the few shot at the top of the target was because that I was still thinking 200 yards and was holding a little too high:

I like this thing. I believe that if I had some hand loaded ammo and a scope I could do a helluva lot better. A few weeks ago I bought a new 10/22 barrel from a place in Tennessee. The sad thing is I can not remember the company I bought it from. I posted a comment in a thread a few weeks ago about how great their customer service was. I had originally ordered an 18 inch barrel but they did not have any at that time so they sent me a 16.5 one to use until they made the 18s. To comment again on their service - they called me this past Monday to find out if I wanted to keep the 16.5 barrel or to swap it for a newly manufactured 18 inch one, I chose to keep this one.

I fired the 10/22 after the Zestava and I did not take one picture - duh! I have a four power BSA scope on it and I shot it at 50 yard to zero the scope. Once I had the scope dialed it, I could not seem to miss anything. I put one of the little "dots" (that you use to paste up the holes in a target) at the 50 yard line and hit it four out of five shots . I then moved on to the 100 yard line, the first few shots were very low (of course) but got it zeroed in. It took 27 clicks of elevation to bring the hits to the 10 ring. If I were going to do much shooting at 100 yards, I will have to get a variable scope on it, for these old eyes. Just to check, I brought it down 27 clicks and went back to the 50 yard target and it was right on the money.

All right, that's enough.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Good shooting and great range report....thanks! Oh and sorry, I did move it to the rifle forum.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
Wow, that impresses me. Iron sights and all the way out to 200 yards, looks like mighty fine shooting to me.

And the 10/22 gets a thumbs up too. I have to work real hard to get them all into a group that size at 50 yards and I have a lot more scope magnification than that 4x.

If things go as planned I will be at the range tomorrow. First order of business will be erecting a storage shed for all the range crap so I don't have to haul so much down each time.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Nice shootn George. And dan did indeed beat me to moving it.

·
Super Moderator
41,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan, I sent Josh a PM telling him that I put it in the wrong place, I should have just waited and it would have been done automatically!!:p :D

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
did you try to refire that dimpled primer 762?

did it pop or no go?

thanks for the report.

i'm thinking of getting one of those zastava's as well.

·
Super Moderator
41,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I did a second hit on it but was pointing it at the 400 yard steel gong. It did go off on the second time. I don't think I hit the gong either. :D

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
ok, so it did pop.. that's good.

maybee the primer wasn't seated well? who knows.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts