Range Report

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gdmoody, May 19, 2020.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

First off, I did not take any pictures so this might not have happened!

I went to the range this afternoon and took a man who is visiting from Korea. My wife had asked me some time last week if I would take him. I told her that I would be glad to but before I would, he would have to come over and pick out the guns he would want to shoot.

He came over Sunday afternoon and I laid out a few guns for him to look at and make a selection. It was like watching a kid in a candy store, he doesn't speak any English but I did hear a whole lot of "Oohh Waa" which pretty much means "WOW". The rifles I laid out were mostly old military type arms such as M1, M1 Carbine, 1903A3, German 8mm's, and a couple of AR's (one A1 and one A2). I think he took pictures of everything. Then I laid out a bunch of hand guns, they were a Luger, P-38. Beretta 92, a few 1911's, Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Blackhawk and I don't remember what else. Again pictures of everything.

He ended up picking out the M1 Carbine, the AR15-A1, and a 1911 since he was familiar with these. Through my wife and his fiancee, he told me that when he was 18 he was drafted into the Korean Army and was still in during the time they were using the M1 Carbine and the US was giving them the M-16. Some of their sidearms were 1911's.

All right, now to the range report. When we got there, there were a bunch of folks on the rifle range so we shot the 1911 first. We went thought the "safety course" using the two translators. He kept shaking his head like he was understanding everything. We went down and set up a target and backed up to the 7 yard line. I showed him the stance I use and how to "load" the pistol and fired one shot, just to let him see. I handed the pistol to him and he fired five magazines through it. He did pretty fair for someone who has not touched a gun in 50 years. He kept pulling to the right but did get a couple of bullseyes.

When we got over to the rifle range, the people there were leaving so we had it to ourselves. We took two targets down to the 50 yard line, one for the carbine and one for the AR. He did not do so well with the Carbine, but after the first 4 or 5 rounds with the AR, he was wearing out the bullseye.

There were a few pictures taken by his fiancee using his phone so if I can get him to text them to me, I will post a few. His phone is on the Korean system so I don't know if there would be an international charge for him to text them to me.

2. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

The main point is that you and your guest had a good day on the range. This might of made his trip.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

The limited experience I've had with foreign exchange students and the very few folks visiting here from around the world, it did make his trip. At the least it will be a very much remembered and talked about experience when they get home. Good on you George!

rlb, Virginia Patriot, Gudaki and 6 others like this.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

That sounds like an awesome day for both of you.

5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That was thoughtful of you to do. We had Korean ROKs working up in I Corps and we used to fly them out to the field. Tough as nails. The NVA were scared to death of them. As I recall most of them carried M2 Carbines. There was also a small group of Aussie SFs that we supported.

6. gdmoody

Yeah, I think he kept waiting for both the Carbine and the A1 to go auto but it never happened. I explained that fully automatic is not legal in the US for us common folks with out paying for the privilege.

7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

George, I saw only a few WW2 vintage weapons back then. The ROKs with the M2s, a couple of the Aussies also had them, and a WW2 era 'Bazooka' on a perimeter bunker up in Khe Sanh. Don't have a clue where or how it got there.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

I have learned over the years that when you take someone to the range, shooting is the universal language regardless of what language is spoken at home

9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Well done George. As said, that probably was the highlight for the entire trip for your guest.

That kind of thing is always great fun. Fun for the guest, and fun for you to watch and help him. Thanks for the report.

10. Bigdog357

Bigdog357 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice of you to share your knowledge and your guns with him. Brings back memories of a time years ago when I was doing business in Montreal Canada on a regular basis and a couple of the french Canadian guys came out to visit me when I was living in So California. They had never shot a gun before, I took them to the desert with a small arsenal and they had the time of their life.

11. gdmoody

He sent me some of the pictures that were taken on his phone:
    First one - he wanted a selfie of himself with me
    2,3,4 - him with each gun he fired, M1 Carbine, 1911, and AR15-A1
    Last one - my wife (left) and his fiancee
    2CAA2856-1BAB-4AD6-8C07-362FDF5D88D6.jpeg 3C49AAF5-01BF-487A-9D2F-EB0F8E2CA65F.jpeg 364B6FA0-E103-46AF-9BB6-FF8DA9A14B18.jpeg 2541EC83-56E0-4862-9D2C-C7CE03DA2A40.jpeg E5885D11-6679-408C-93BC-14D572E0DFA4.jpeg

rlb, jwdurf, ms6852 and 5 others like this.
  12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

A new shooter having fun. Priceless!

jwdurf, ms6852, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  13. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a good time was enjoyed by all!

ms6852 and BlackEagle like this.
  14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

George there is always more than one way to communicate . Judging by the smiles it was successful. Good for both of you.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    BlackEagle and jwdurf like this.