Range Time Mixed Blessing.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 2A-Jay, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Finally the Weather turned nice, my friend from Idaho and I went to the Range. Hand Guns '03 Springfield, Marlin 336C.

All Handguns ran fine. 336C first shot was good. rack the lever the gun is locked up tighter than a drum. Move on to the '03. after 10 rounds '03 bolt is locked up and wont budge. too tires to start taking rifles apart tonight

flboots and ms6852 like this.
  2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Interesting! Makes me wonder if my 30-30 Winchester will do the same. In all honesty it has been about 10 years since I've shot it. It is the only rifle I've never really have bothered or learned to disassemble .

flboots likes this.

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Ammo checking time!!!! Did you make a boo-boo reloading?

I recently took my PSA AR-10 clone in 6.5 CreedMoor to the range. After about 40 shots it was time to pick up and go home. As I pull the empties out of my brass catching net, all look fine except two have blown out primers and show signs of excessive pressures, none of which can be seen in the others. What?

Checked everything on the gun and even took the gun to the range with some fresh reloads...no problem seen! I have no idea of what happened but it didn't happen again....yet!

LDBennett

jwdurf and flboots like this.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Please keep us informed. Watching....

BlackEagle and flboots like this.
  5. 2A-Jay

The Springfield was not an ammo problem. Finally got the Bolt out and cleaned the bolt. Lesson learned Gun Slick Gun Grease can indeed harden with age. Cleaned the rifle thoroughly and lubed it with Hoppes Gun Oil.

Later it is time to tackle the Lever Gun Problem.

6. 2A-Jay

Part of the problems are because most of my guns have been Safe Queens for over a year. This will no longer be a problem now that I have a range to go to that is open 7 days a week unless they are having a New Shooters Class.

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  7. LDBennett

Yes...Grease in a gun is a no-no. I have many guns and shoot them all in a planned rotation. Most are stored for a year or more between uses. I use gun oil, not grease and have never had a problem with hardening.

But I did have trouble with Never-Seize hardening to a glue. I lost a Dan Wesson revolver barrel shroud because of it. I needed to change the barrel and could not get the barrel nut loose. As it is buried inside the shroud, the the only way to get the barrel off was to cut the shroud. Saved the barrel but lost the shroud. New shorter barrel came with its own shroud.

LDBennett

2A-Jay likes this.
  8. 2A-Jay

About an hour ago I threw away the tube of Gun Slick. I have several bottles of Hoppes Gun oil and Outers Gun Oil. I have enough that I even use it as Honing Oil on my Triple Stone:)

9. 2A-Jay

I have the Manual for the Marlin what I don't have is a set of Hollow Ground Screw Drivers or Bits the right size for the gun. Going to visit Midway.

BlackEagle likes this.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

You don't have to pay Midways prices, hollow ground screwdriver bits are available everywhere.

11. 2A-Jay

I have looked at the hardware stores locally, 2 0f them didn't have any, the other one is asking $80 plus tax. At Midway the kit goes for $55 with free shipping.

joe45c and Bigdog357 like this.
  12. Bigdog357

Bigdog357 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did you get the Wheelers? I have a couple sets, they work well

joe45c likes this.
  13. LDBennett

I like the Brownells hollow ground tips kit. You can get individual tips as well for when you loose one or damage a tip. Mine are decades old and work great.

LDBennett