Range time with chrono...FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by sharps4590, Apr 1, 2020.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

DC, that load for my 8 X 56MS is, as I mentioned, my plinking/fun load and yes sir, it is enough for a woods load. Mostly I just wanted to see where it was and how the numbers ran. I was pleased and it's always been an accurate load. My "more serious load" is 23-24 gr.s of the same powder and brings the velocity closer to or slightly above my preferred 1800 fps. I didn't have any loaded that day soooo...no numbers. In addition to more bullet weight than the two you mentioned, that bullet also has a nice meplat. I am convinced that is a significant factor in the effectiveness of a cast bullet on game.

Of the three most commonly referred to calculations of a cartridge's effectiveness on game I like Taylor's KO value and Keith's pounds/feet better than the conventional FPE formula, preferring Keith's. None are going to be exact but either of the first two are more realistic than the latter. When the conventional formula square's the velocity, everything beyond that becomes skewed in favor of velocity.

pdkfishing and DCman like this.
  2. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

I got the formula I use from a Wiley Clapp article he wrote in the 1980's on the .44 special cartridge.

3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I shot for groups at the same time but didn't take any pictures. I'd fired all those loads several times before and was satisfied with them. I'd never chronoed any of them before.

The real 8 X 65R Brenneke is a real thumper. As a friend of mine said, "it's a snotty cartridge". In that double rifle, it's a long story about the cartridge. My books are down stairs but I THINK velocity with a 200 gr. bullet is around 2600-2700 in the rimmed version and 2800-2900 in the rimless version for bolt rifles and with one barrel, an even heavier bullet of 220 grs. is available. And I'm definitely subject to correction. At any rate, it's typical of Wilhelm Brenneke, a very good performing cartridge.

pdk and I both have 7 X 64 Brenneke's. I just got mine last fall late so haven't taken anything with it. I believe pdk has taken quite a bit of game with his. Basically, the 7 X 64 Brenneke was a 280 Remington before the 280 was a gleam in someone's eye.

I have zero knowledge of the Magneto-Speed chrono other than I've read those who have it like it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  5. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

That 8x65 Brenneke round sounds like its in the same league as the old 8mm-06 wildcat.