The Firearms Forum banner

Range time with the Super Blackhawk

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
Spent some time on the range today with my new (used) Super Blackhawk. Shot (almost) a box of 44 Special before changing to mags.

The guy three benches down was shooting some small auto. He kept looking my way when I capped off the 44 Specials. Finally, he walked over to ask what I was shooting. Told me he thought that was a little much gun for a small range.

"I mean," he asked "do you think you could get any louder?"

Ooh! A challenge. I broke out the magnums. I think I could hear the guy's eyes bug out when I dropped the hammer on the first round. By the time I was loading the second cylinder, he was packed and headed for his car.

Aside from the broken grip, I was not displeased. The Specials were very pleasant to shoot. The recoil from the Magnums wasn't even too bad, though I only got 12 rounds down range.

The result at 25 yards...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good shooting, and welcome to the forum! I love both the .44 special, and the .44 magnum, and shoot them a lot. Another member here on TFF lives close by, and is a member of a range near the both of us. He has invited me to go shoot with him three times now, and we always have a good time. Last trip he, and I, were shooting several different guns, and calibers. One of them was a Charter Arms Bulldog, DAO, snubbie, in .44 special, at some clay pigions that another shooters son had placed on the 100 yard berm. Can't say we hit any of them, but we were putting rounds with inches of the larger chunks. Another shooter there noticed what we were doing and came over to check things out. I let him shoot the pistol at 100 yards. After 5 shots, he stuck the pistol in his pocket, and it disapered. He gave it back to me, and stated that this gun would be his next purchase. He loved it too!

#3 ·
"I mean," he asked "do you think you could get any louder?"
What a butt wipe! I don't blame you for getting out the magnum, if I had something louder I would have dug it out, too.

Myles, it might have ticked me off a little if someone stuck my pistol in his pocket, without asking first. I know he just wanted to see how it fit/looked in the pocket, but . . . . . .

#4 ·
Aside from the broken grip, I was not displeased. The Specials were very pleasant to shoot. The recoil from the Magnums wasn't even too bad, though I only got 12 rounds down range.
Was good enough that you wouldn't have to shoot a 13th time. :D

Love the 44 mag but specials are easier on the old body and they make us look good.

#5 ·
Those .44 Specials from a .44 Mag revolver or carbine are a lot of fun, and usually much more pleasant and accurate to shoot than full power rounds. The guy who complained aboput the noise? Just figure there are jerks everywhere you go. It IS a shooting range, after all......

I HAD a .44 Mag SAA revolver. When I loaded it with those .44 Specials and my wife fired it - it was no longer mine. Then she wanted a .44 lever action. Then she found my .223 Colt SP1. Then my 10-22. Only good thing was that I had to replace those with a .45 SAA (7 !/2" bbl Cavalry), then an M4 Carbine of my own.

Don't know about pocketing somebody else's pistol. Not good manners.

#6 ·
I shot my 44 mag at the range all the time. One time they had some Remington 180 grain magnums and I picked up a box. This was the loudest round I ever shot threw any gun. People were coming over from the other range to see what was going on. After I ran off 6 rounds I turned around to see a crowd behind me.

No one complained, they loved it. I have never seen the Remington 180 grain loads again. They were also light on recoil.

#7 ·
Those .44 Specials from a .44 Mag revolver or carbine are a lot of fun, and usually much more pleasant and accurate to shoot than full power rounds. The guy who complained aboput the noise? Just figure there are jerks everywhere you go. It IS a shooting range, after all......

I HAD a .44 Mag SAA revolver. When I loaded it with those .44 Specials and my wife fired it - it was no longer mine. Then she wanted a .44 lever action. Then she found my .223 Colt SP1. Then my 10-22. Only good thing was that I had to replace those with a .45 SAA (7 !/2" bbl Cavalry), then an M4 Carbine of my own.

Don't know about pocketing somebody else's pistol. Not good manners.
I have a 44 spl. that I was going to have my wife shoot. Hmm, maybe I ought to reconsider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.