The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's wild but still kind of a tame deer that lives on a mountain side up in the hills of Ol Virginia around a bunch of houses. It drifts from garden to garden eating what it wants. People that live there aren't hunters but someone else up that way will likely get it this fall when season comes in. I wouldn't take it myself but someone else probably will.

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
We have white and spotted deer all around here due to them living on the army depot up north. They built a prison and opened it up and they have been moving south for food. They call them Seneca white deer.
You can shoot them around here. And you can shoot albino deer here in NY too.
They taste like any other deer I have shot.
I would not hesitate to shoot ANY color deer I am not color prejudice.
Venison is venison.

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts

That, and loose hunt & fish privileges forever in Wa for killing any critter that looks albino.
But @tuckerd1 says it's a Piebald deer, i wouldn't know if there's a hunting season for that species or not. ?
piebald (adj.)

"of two different colors, having spots or patches of white and black or another color,"

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Albinos we have from time to time. It's considered a birth defect and taking them is suggested. I don't think a piebald is the same thing but not sure. If its just a white tail with a gentic disorder problem then taking is likely requested. If its a differet species then it could be different.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
In Ohio you can shoot them. They aren’t that uncommon. People usually don’t shoot them because it’s suppose to be bad luck, left over from Indian legends. There was a white buck , not albino, hanging around some company office building on the edge of a near by town. Sprawling one story with nice shrubbery and well kept lawn. It had been the subject of several little articles in local paper and even local TV. People were feeding it.
There is always one A-hole. A bow hunter figured out where it came out of woods everyday on way to get its handouts. Yep, he stuck it 1st morning of Bow Season. Was bad luck for him, nobody wanted anything to do with him. Wasn’t young kid either.

·
Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
70yrs? ago, some White Fallow deer and Russian Boar escaped into the Los Padres forest from the Hearst Castle Zoo. I can remember seeing them as far north as the Crystal Springs reservoir on the SF peninsula when I was a kid in the 60's. There use to be reports of Fallow and native Blacktail crossbreeds, with colorings like that fawn.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts