The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my last sticking points on relaoding 45-70 is finding a rcbs/hornady #14 shell holder.

can't find one anywhere.

will any other work?

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already know the equivalents.

what I wanted to know if there was another shell holder that was close enough to fit and work

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm.. I see lee says a #8 will work with 416rigby or 45-70

the hornady book i looked in indicated 416 remington but not rigby.. so i overlooked it.

I MAY just have a shellholder for 416rigby. at least I know I had one on my to get list.. as I plan on loading up for 416 rigby soon as well.

hmm.. gotta go did back thru my stuff and see if I got a #8 lee

·
Super Moderator
41,419 Posts
If you do not find one that will fit, PM your address to me and I will let you BORROW mine until you can find one. I think it is a Lee shell holder. I don't plan on loading any 45 /70 any time real soon.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have to go work on my farm tomorrow. wife called me and a gate went down.

once I get that squared away.. I'l look thru my shellholders and see if I got that #8 if not I'll pm ya :)

G

·
I wouldn't buy a Lee shell holder. I had a set and over 50% of my brass never fit in them. Stick to quality products from Lyman, RCBS, Hornady Reding.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't buy a Lee shell holder. I had a set and over 50% of my brass never fit in them. Stick to quality products from Lyman, RCBS, Hornady Reding.
i've got a mix of hornady, rcbs ( mostly ) and lee.

so far the only problem I've ever had with a shell holder was a hornady.. it would not fit my RCBS hand prime tool... BUT it did fit the shell fine. so I bought a nother brnad ( don't recall if it was lee or rcbs ).. and it fit the prime tool fine, and i stuckt he other one in the press and it fit fine.

I probably could have taken a dremel wheel or snd paper and cleaned up the piece that fits the hand primer and it would have worked.. but no need. I usually like to have 2 of each shell holder fo rthe calibers I shoot often.. so i can prime and load without swapping holders back and forth.

for stuff i only shoot a lil bit of.. 1 is fine.

ironically.. hornady is also the brass I have had the most problems with in the way of the flash hole being in the wrong place and breaking the decapping pins on my rcbs dies... a main reason i bought a lee uni decapper with a collet pin that mostly doesn't break, vs poping up...

long story short.. there simply aren't any shell holders for sale around here.. of any brand.. :)

·
Super Moderator
41,419 Posts
Ten bucks for a shell holder, they must be out of their minds.

soundguy, I'm still ready to send you mine until you can find one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'll agree a little steep.
Just thought I'd point out this one I found.
I have an old herters press they get a little spendy also.

update just checked catalog price 8.99 so not so bad after all.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, I scored!

I called all around. there are about 9 shops that sell guns and supplies in a 3 city area.. 7 of them are pawn shops.. etc. the one the farthest from me at about 45m away.. I calle dthem yesterday.

thay had my #14 shell holder AND a pound of trailboss AND a box of .458 projectiles.

prices weren't bad.. in fact.. trailboss was only 19$.. the shell holder was 9$ and the projectiles for 100rnds was 24$ 9 a lil steep.. but now I got some to play with ). then the seller gave me 10% off everything.. so I saved about 6$ off them prices... so don't feel too bad about it all.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Strange,,, I have 2 full sets of Lee shell holders that I have used for the past 15 or so years and the only issues I have had were with a handfull of .223 and .308 brass fired from auto loaders that had heavy extracter burrs on the rims. Not the fault of the shell holders and a light touch of a file fixed the brass and were good to go even on them. In all fairness I have only loaded for maybe 2 dozen calibres and am sure many holders I havent used yet.

10 Spot

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heck the only shellholder prob on mine wasn't even witht he shell.. it was a holde rthat didn't like my hand primer.. :) and wasn't a lee.. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never could figure why Lee felt the need to make seperate shell holders for their hand primer tool (red box) and standard ones for presses (green box) . I use an RCBS hand primer tool and either the Lee or RCBS shell holders and imagine the other hand primer tools accept standard size shell holders.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i had almost went with a lee hand primer and glad I went rcbs..

·
Super Moderator
41,419 Posts
Strange,,, I have 2 full sets of Lee shell holders that I have used for the past 15 or so years and the only issues I have had were with a handfull of .223 and .308 brass fired from auto loaders that had heavy extracter burrs on the rims. Not the fault of the shell holders and a light touch of a file fixed the brass and were good to go even on them. In all fairness I have only loaded for maybe 2 dozen calibres and am sure many holders I havent used yet.

10 Spot
I have to admit that I did have one problem with a Lee shell holder. When I started loading the 5.7X28, I bought a Lee #15 Shell holder and the shell would not fit into the holder no matter what I did.

It was just cut too small. I bought a RCBS and didn't have any problem with that one. I have a set of Lee shell holders and don't have a problem with any of the others.

I use the Lee hand prime tool and the #15 for that works fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts