The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back into reloading after 25 years. I have done fine with my handgun loads, so I wanted to load some old 30-06 brass. I believe that it is military brass because the headstamp just had initials and numbers on 4 sides (it that is not right, let me know), anyway it had been reloaded before. My RCBS 30-06 sizing/depriming die has engraved on the very top: 30-06....SB....FL....82. I assumed that the FL was for full length so I sized the whole cartridge and got the case stuck in the die, and ruined the inside sizer on the depriming pin. So my questions are should I have not sized the whole case? why would it get stuck? What do I do now? (besides try to buy new repriming rod and parts). fyi..case was lubed, die was not cleaned...what am i missing? afraid to try again until I know what went wrong. thanks for the help, cant wait to get some replys.

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
If you lubed it and it got stuck, I don't know. Unless you did not have enough lube. That's a tricky thing to learn. If you don't have enough you get stuck and if you have too much (especially on the shoulder) you put those lovely grease dents in there. Just trial and error, until you learn.

And, yes, that's a Full Length Small Base die. Supposedly you need SB dies if you are going to run it in an autoloader or a pump. These two actions don't have the "umph" needed to put a slightly oversize case into the chamber.

I bought SB dies because I was loading for a friend with a 742. He got rid of it, but I bought an ought-three, and they have worked fine for it.

Did you get the stuck case out?

You said "die was not cleaned". You didn't clean it when you got it from whoever you got it from? If so, it might have rust or dried lube, or hell, a dirt dauber's nest up there, that caused your case to stick.

Clean the die interior, put more lube on the brass and try again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help, yes I did finally beat the case out with a hammer and punch. When I said that I did not clean the die...the die is mine, just been sitting in the case on a shelf for 20+ years, so it very easily could have a little rust or dried lube inside. As long as I know that I have the correct dies I will try again, as soon as I replace the insides of my sizer die..thanks again

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
The roll pad and RCBS lube is my choice, too, but I use my thumb and forefinger to give a wipe at excess lube on the case neck to prevent those grease dents Alpo mentioned. A little on the messy side, but I keep an old shop towel and clean my fingers every couple of cases.

·
Super Moderator
31,953 Posts
Don't go buy anything. Call RCBS and explain to them what you did and I am willing to bet that they will send you a new stem and pins. Free of charge.
With the SB dies, they need a little more oomph to fully size, I'd go with some Imperial Sizing Wax.

·
Registered
18,161 Posts
I gave up on the RCBS lube and stamp pad, years ago. It just gets so damn filthy. Picks up dirt out of the air while you're using it. If there is any powder residue in your brass (which does not hurt a thing when you reload) it comes out and sticks to the lubed pad.

I use the spray lube from Dillon. I believe it is lanolin mixed with alcohol, and it comes in a pump bottle (not aerosol). Works great, and not dirty.

Oh, and I second the "call RCBS and tell 'em". They might send you free replacement. They might not, but what the hell. Call don't cost much.

·
Super Moderator
31,953 Posts
I suggested calling them because I completely destroyed the stem and pin in my decapping die. It was my fault, didn't have the brass all the way in the shell holder and was in a groove. Bent the stem and pin. Called them and told them the truth and within a few days I had a new stem and 20 new pins. No charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have sent an email to rcbs, it was a great idea. I ruined a priming arm a couple months back, they responded quickly and sent me a new one for free. So glad I joined this forum, the dialogue has been great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.