The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and 76Highboy recommended I join for solid reloading info from folks with extensive experience and knowledge. Quick question-I'm new to reloading and have been looking at the RCBS and Dillon CM500 Case Media separators. I like the lid on the RCBS, but the Dillon seems better constructed.

Anyone have experience with both and what was your experience with them? Also, if you own the Dillon any tips on keeping the dust down?

Your feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Hey JB, welcome to the forum and our condolences for knowing Highboy. :D ;)

I dont have any experience with reloading, but from looking at the pictures, the dillon does look stouter. If you end up getting that, a wire frame with a cloth might suffice to enclose it. It wouldnt be as good as the lid. I dont know how much dust you would have with these, but I wouldnt think it would be a dig deal unless you were turning it pretty fast.

Hopefully somebody will come along soon with something actually useful rather than just making something up. :p

Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Welcome to TFF and as far as knowing Highboy, don't say it too loud.

Just kidding.

Go to your nearest wally world, go over to the housewares department, and buy yourself a $3.00 plastic colander with a lid. That is exactly what I use, it does the same thing as the RCBS or Dillon and when it breaks, go spend another three bucks. I have been using the same colander for 4 or 5 years. I just drilled the small holes out to 3/8 inch so it would drain the media faster.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Its a media separator. Its really doesn't need to be heavily constructed to work well and last years. I like the frankford arsenal because it sits over a standard 5 gallon bucket. But any of the others would suit you well. All of them have been used for decades without fail.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
And I use an old fish fry pot with the basket in it! Oh yeah! Welcome to the forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Genious Myles!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I prefer the RCBS. It has a cover to lessen powder dust in the air.
Had a Dillon and got the RCBS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback and tips.

·
Registered
363 Posts
These are products that don't require much rocket science to operate correctly, and one is no better than the other. I use the Dillon unit and have only found powder on the bottom of the tray. It wipes out easily if I feel the need.

Dillon or RCBS or fish fryer; they all work equally well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are products that don't require much rocket science to operate correctly, and one is no better than the other. I use the Dillon unit and have only found powder on the bottom of the tray. It wipes out easily if I feel the need.

Dillon or RCBS or fish fryer; they all work equally well.
Thanks for the feedback as well as the clarification that not much Rocket Science is required for the normal operation of these products - Perhaps I will go with the fish fryer to eliminate all the complexities of handling/operating a case media separator Again, thanks for the feedback and advice.

Joe

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know you are being sarcastic, and that is ok.

My point is that beginners overthink the hardware portion of reloading, but don't spend nearly enough time researching the important stuff by reading manuals. Everything one needs to know about safe reloading and what to buy is in them; but too many beginners refuse to invest in a couple current ones and take the time to digest the excellent information included in the opening chapters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know you are being sarcastic, and that is ok.

My point is that beginners overthink the hardware portion of reloading, but don't spend nearly enough time researching the important stuff by reading manuals. Everything one needs to know about safe reloading and what to buy is in them; but too many beginners refuse to invest in a couple current ones and take the time to digest the excellent information included in the opening chapters.
Yes, I was being sarcastic as I find your reply condescending. If you refer to my original post, my question was related to quality vs. operation of the products as well as any dust control tips from any of the respective TFF Dillon owners.

As for your point, well taken and I agree with your approach and that is why my first investment was in books/manuals (i.e. The ABCs, Hornady 9th, Lyman 49th) and have spent the last +7 mos. reading, re-reading, researching online videos, forums, etc. to understand as much about reloading safety, methods/equipment used, components, etc. Now I’m at the point to invest in the equipment and just want to make the right decisions for my budget based on as many reviews as I can get – don’t want to pick a product, use it twice, and have it break because it’s cheaply made – regardless of who makes it.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts