The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't freak out, its a sporterized unit and cannot be returned to original. For now this is more curiosity than anything.

Ok, so here's my question.
I want to explore some options to rechamber the old gal (she's a hunnert years this year) to something better suited for varmint shooting.

Now I have a nice Model 70 in 30-06 already and the aught 3. I have other 30 cals for hunting so this is a candidate for tinkering even though I do get some decent MOA (or close to it) groups out of her.

I'm thinking .243 or 22-250, maybe .223 or .222.
My primary targets would be chucks out to maybe 300 yds. Not a lot of open areas for long range in The Pine Tree State.

Now this is something I know nothing about so please don't beat me up here, I'm asking to learn something.
Is it doable?
Would I have to change the bolt head out for the new cal?

·
Administrator
12,871 Posts
You have a long action. The calibers you mention are short action. Like ~.400-.500" shorter.

I Don't know the answer, but there are probably some challenges here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a long action. The calibers you mention are short action. Like ~.400-.500" shorter.

I Don't know the answer, but there are probably some challenges here.
Thanks Don,
Ah yes, another point I didn't consider. Well, maybe I'll run across some project gun at a yard sale sometime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
IF the new round has a different diameter cartridge head, you would need to change bolt face. 30-06, .308 .243 and 22-250 share a base diameter ( about .471-.473 IIRC)
But if you went to .223, that is .378. Bad ju-ju.

PS- If you want a varmint round, the .220 Swift is still king, AND has a ,473 case head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is a " low numbered " Springfield rifle you might want to spend some time reading up on it before you make any changes.
It comes up as a 1921 so not the lower numbered problems afaik.

73019435_2508855665896540_6446670461605511168_n.jpg pix068299422.jpg

IF the new round has a different diameter cartridge head, you would need to change bolt face. 30-06, .308 .243 and 22-250 share a base diameter ( about .471-.473 IIRC)

PS- If you want a varmint round, the .220 Swift is still king, AND has a ,473 case head.
I was wondering about the head diameters, and forgot to ask. Thank you.

After posting those pics tho, I'm thinking she might be too good looking to do anything to.

·
Administrator
12,871 Posts

And there's that too.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I think your mention of another rifle for a project makes the most sense. Maybe a short action Savage, one of those newer ones that aren't terribly expensive? I forget their name, ain't my thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think your mention of another rifle for a project makes the most sense. Maybe a short action Savage, one of those newer ones that aren't terribly expensive? I forget their name, ain't my thing.
I can't remember right off either, but Cabella's has em for about 350. Looked it up, Axis XP. They have a variety of cals except 22-250.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,208 Posts
That's a nice rifle. Too good-looking to be a project rifle.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
The rifle looks good, and this is coming from someone who makes custom rifle barrels, if it shoots good, leave it alone. If it patterns like a shotgun, then you might think about putting a different barrel on it.

Basic rule: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, you might make it worse.

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts
After seeing the pictures, I'd suggest leaving it the way it is. JMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas, I earned a lot from this exchange. I'm convinced.
I'll post up some videos of her Independence Day 100th Birthday pew pew party. I won't send 100 rounds down range at todays prices, maybe one per decade.

In the meantime I'll keep my MK 1s peeled for something suitable for inducing high velocity lead poisoning in the local chuck population.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,208 Posts
Thanks for all the input fellas, I earned a lot from this exchange.
Stick around, get to know the guys here. We learn a lot from each other about all kinds of things. We're a friendly bunch.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
If you want a project rifle in a small caliber varmint round you might think about building one on a Savage action. They have that barrel nut set up that makes changing barrels and chamberings fairly easy and simple to do in a home workshop without a lot of specialized tools and machine tools. Outfits like E.M. Shaw make drop in barrels for that action and Boyds makes good stocks in laminate or solid hardwood. Several of our members have built nice rifles on Savage actions and out of the box Savages shoot pretty darn good too. I think @slayer has done a couple of them, perhaps he will chime in and clue you in on what Savage actions make the best donors for a build.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts