The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot this gun for the first time when I was 13. Over the years of storage in a humid environment, I tried to bring it back to life.
Wood Knife Everyday carry Wood stain Blade
Wood Bicycle part Metal Leather Musical instrument accessory
Wood Auto part Metal Nail Art
Wood Font Cable Household hardware Auto part
Musical instrument Wood Tints and shades Nickel Auto part
Wood Musical instrument Rectangle Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Hand tool Tool Wood Knife Gun accessory
Revolver Violin family Wood Fiddle Trigger
Wood Table Bumper Wood stain Material property
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job for a first time. Keep it oiled up cold blue will not last long. Is the butt pad on straight?
Be careful restoring guns can be addictive I have over 20 in the shop right now for hot blue and wood with checkering to be redone.
That was the original butt pad so I put it back like it came off. This was my Daddy's shotgun and I wanted to keep it original, except for the re-blue and refinish of course.
A gunsmith told me not to use gun oil to wipe it down as that would remove some of the bluing. Any suggestions or comments on that?

Reactions: Firpo

·
Premium Member
10,148 Posts
That was the original butt pad so I put it back like it came off. This was my Daddy's shotgun and I wanted to keep it original, except for the re-blue and refinish of course.
A gunsmith told me not to use gun oil to wipe it down as that would remove some of the bluing. Any suggestions or comments on that?
Yes use CLP and just wipe it on do not try to rub it in. It will not last long anyway and you will have to keep rebluing it with cold blue sense you did not get all of the pitting out. If you want to make the pad fit better you can open the holes in the pad ( on the side that goes up against the stock) a little so you can shift it to make it fit right before you tighten it down. DO NOT open the holes to much. If you want to keep it as a family heirloom then you might want to think about getting it hot blued. Most of the guns I do are family heirlooms and even though they are not worth as much as it costs. But you can not put a price on a family heirloom.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was always told that hot blue would eat up the solder holding the barrels together.
I'm very satisfied with the cold blue, but it does take many applications to get the desired "blue."

• Wow
Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Stevens barrels are not soft-soldered together.
I did not know that. Bill, does that go all the way back in their history?

40+ years ago I had a 311 in 12 bore. It must have fit me pretty good as I killed a pile of doves with it at a fairly high percentage.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
I did not know that. Bill, does that go all the way back in their history?

40+ years ago I had a 311 in 12 bore. It must have fit me pretty good as I killed a pile of doves with it at a fairly high percentage.
My late best friend and hunting partner had a Stevens 311 12 gauge double that he used since he was a pup. It was the only shotgun he owned and he used it for everything from doves to geese. We used to make yearly trips to South Dakota pheasant hunting, and I don't recall ever seeing him miss.
I used my Browning A-5 or my Citori, and he always limited out well before me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job for a first time. Keep it oiled up cold blue will not last long. Is the butt pad on straight?
Be careful restoring guns can be addictive I have over 20 in the shop right now for hot blue and wood with checkering to be redone.
I looked at the butt pad and I see what you're talking about. The pad is on straight. It looks like it isn't because of the photo angle plus there's a black piece made onto the butt pad itself. I agree, it seems way off-center but it's not. Thanks!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
882 Posts
I’ve never done it myself but guys put paste wax over their cold blue jobs. I guess it protects it some.
Most cold blue jobs are on guns that aren’t worth expense of hot blue or sentimental wall hangers.
I never got into hot blue. The family Gun Smith did all ours and Blue was subbed out to him when I was in business. Don’t recall having Stevens 311 for reblue. But had several Savage 24s which barrels were silver brazed and not going to be affected by blue temps. I don’t take anything for granite while working on SxS. I never use direct torch on them. I have copper bars with radius milled in to clamp barrels and transfer heat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts