Reading of the Names...

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/20/02 8:50:13 am)
    Reading of the Names...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As you probably all know, the 20th Anniversary of the Vietnam Memorial Wall in DC is approaching. There will be a reading of the names starting on 11/7 and continuing through 11/10.

I found out that they are accepting volunteers to help in the reading... I've attached the link where you can print out an application form... in case any of you were interested.

I've sent in an application and volunteered to read some of the names.

JW... on the application they ask if you'd like to read a specific name, since I don't know anyone personally on the Wall, I decided to do a blind pick of the three gentlemen's names I had made rubbings of for you. If all this happens, I will hopefully be reading Marvin Glen Shield's name among many others. I just thought I'd let you know!!

Events (so far) in DC www.vva.org/veterans_day2002/events.htm

Schedule of the Reading of Names (with application) www.vvmf.org/Gallery/NovEvents/index_NovHome.htm

Always Faithful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/23/02 12:11:53 pm)
    Reply Re: Reading of the Names...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gotta take my hat off to ya Winter ...

After all these years I "still" have a hard time when it comes to this particular Memorial but then thats something I will have to overcome in time hopefully.

While down in Branson at our reunion I toured a Military Museum which covered all the conflicts up to and including Desert Storm. Got to the Vietnam section and located one of my childhood friends' name that was listed.

After solemnly placing my fingertips on it for what seemed like just a couple of seconds I had to find "someplace" to go and let "some" of it out as it was without a doubt a "very emotional" time for me and this particular display was nothing like what the true memorial is. Not really sure what I would do if I would have actually been at the DC Wall .....

Something we all have to deal with in our own way when and if the time ever comes I guess ....

"Semper Fi"

Six

"HUE CITY SHOOTOUT PARTICIPANT ..... RVN '68 TET OFFENSIVE"

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/23/02 3:04:44 pm)
    Re: Reading of the Names...
    Six... everyone deals with things differently and in their own time. You'll know when you're ready. And when you are ready... know that you are certainly NOT alone.

I have seen strangers at the Wall walk up to each other and support one another. It's an amazing place, with emotions attached to it I will never completely understand or know. But a place where no one is ever alone.

Always Faithful

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (9/23/02 5:09:53 pm)
    Six, I know your feeling. It is said that we don't have to be alone at those times but I do disagree. Those are the moments that we must go thru alone, there is no other way. Those first few minutes, hours is the time we go back with our thoughts and memories of the individual or times. It is a time we must all go through and it is after we can help another when the times comes for that individual. Difficult to explain but I know you understand. - Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/27/02 11:32:57 pm)

I went to DC on Veteran's Day, 1988 with a planeload of vet's selected by the Vet Center in Phoenix. It was sponsored by a local TV station and America West airlines.
    It has a holy feeling about it, the whole place is sacred.
    And you are not alone at the 'Wall'. In DC there are people at the wall to assist visitors 24/7, in all types of weather.
    I had to approach my 'name' alone but as soon as I started shaking, crying and losing it. There were about 4 or 5 vets holding me up and offering encouragement until I had calmed down some.

Your are not ALONE.

berto64

Endeaver to Persevere

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (10/29/02 6:08:48 am)
    Thank You Winter---I am so very grateful. I just bet Marvin would grin like the big Cheshire Cat if he knew he was getting all this attention. If any of you would like to look in on Marvin and his family, go to google and plug in Marvin Shields---a former student of mine in 1964---first and only Seabee to be awarded the MOH---bless you Winter for the favor. Wilborn

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/30/02 6:07:35 pm)

Read about Marvin Shields, six. Exemplary example of "just doing his job" kinda guy.

berto
    Endeaver to Persevere

cricket328
    (11/2/02 4:17:23 pm)
    I think some of our guys are going to be there to help read the names. I wouldn't mind being there, but our chapter is having something that weekend and I'll be helping them out. I know it will be very touching. I live an hour from DC so if any of you ever go let me know, maybe I can meet up with you at the Wall.

Chris

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (11/3/02 7:07:47 am)
    My Dear Wife Mary has stated numerous times that I ought to "GO TO THE WALL"---of course, I know she means that it may tie up some of these fragmented ends for me---I respond, it would probably be like that one and only high school class reunion I attended 39 years after graduating from that tiny Iowa school where we had 17 kids in the graduating class---depressing and not the least bit soul enriching. I've only been to Washington once in my life---in 1954 when I reenlisted in Iowa, they shipped me to DC---at the recieving station, those in charge found work for the troops---(we called them 'shit-details'). When they found out I was a Seabee and a plumber at that, I was sent out to work at the then being developed, Presidential Retreat, later to be called Camp David after President Eisenhower grandson. I just bet there are still cast iron drain lines in the ground that I helped install--it was in the autumn and I remember how colorful the trees were---never saw Ike--I think he was sick at the time I was there--heart attack, maybe. Will I ever muster up the gumption/courage to 'go to The Wall'---Berto, you said you had a hellish time with your visit---nope, I guess I won't ever put that on my travel itinerary---sorry. Wilborn

cricket328
    (11/3/02 9:04:19 am)
    Wilborn,

I can understand your feelings. Going to the Wall is not an easy thing for everyone to do. For me its different, since I wasn't involved in the war. I can't explain it very well, but I like to go to the Wall. When I'm there I get this feeling, again hard to explain. I feel close to everyone. It is very emotional. I go at least once a year with our Chapter. One of our members' brother was killed by friendly fire. She puts a pic of him by his name. I have adopted a POW/MIA for my website and have gotten a rubbing of his name.

Chris

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (11/3/02 11:42:16 am)
    Many years ago Chris, when I was involved teaching about disaster recovery operations dealing with nuclear weapons accidents/incidents, there was this expression voiced frequently. It went like this: DISTANCE LENDS ENCHANTMENT. Staying far away from anything that you might find threatening or would cause ill effects for/on you, just might apply. If I even mention the word, 'cowardly', most will assure me that need not be the case---I have observed lots of very moving scenes at THE WALL over TV---what can I say? Wilborn

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (11/4/02 12:14:59 am)
    Chief, I have never been to The Wall but I went to one of the moving Walls that happen to come here a few years ago.......my husband and I stood before it and all I could do is stand and look from a distance with such an unexplainable, pain stabbing feeling and seeing the faces I remembered.......and guys, I didn't see what happened to them like you did in battle, so I can only begin to imagine how you would feel.

Hope

LIKTOSHOOT
    *VMBB Staff*
    (11/4/02 7:33:19 pm)
    Sometimes you must stand in front of it......
    Sometimes you must stand behind it.......
    Shame is not a option.......................

The Wall

LTS