Ready to buy a pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I have several long guns and am ready to buy a pistol. I would like something for home defense as well as just something to shoot. I have shot mainly wheelguns but am looking for a semi auto. I am partial to the 1911 style for myself, but I would like something my wife can shoot as well. She is 5'4" with small hands so the thick handled 1911 might be out of the question...(maybe this meens two handguns?) I would like something in a large caliber myself, but am willing to take suggestions for her. Somehow I feel that a 1911 with ball ammo might push her away from the idea. Any suggestions?

2. Red84

Red84 New Member

Well, a 1911 grip really isnt that bad to hold on to for small hands, considering its a single stack magazine. A large caliber double stack magazine might be hard to hang on to for her, and depends on how recoil she will be too. I dont know how much you are looking to spend, but I have shot the Springfield EMP, it is a 1911 style gun, but made in .40 and 9mm. The other thing is they are kind of hard to find last I knew. It runs over a grand or so, but I really like the way it handles. Needs some work done on the feed ramp for hollow points, but it shoots great, and its a smaller frame gun. I am sure there are better guns out there for your purpose, just my .02 though.

3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

The only way you are going to tell which gun to get is for you both to check them out. If it feels good thats part way. Now once it feels good how well can you shoot it. My advice is to see if you can locate a range that has rentals or a friend that has one or more for you and your wife to try. Everyone has different needs, a 1911 may feel good but if its difficult to handle after recoil or hard to shoot its not much good. Just my .02.

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Wow, the choices are many. Most, not all, women have a hard time handling the recoil of anything over 9 mm. If you look for something that has no more than 10 rounds in the magazine, the pistols are pretty decent sized and not too heavy. You can take your pick and only price is the limit. I have started out with the Taurus brand, and have had success for a limited budget. You will read vehement Taurus haters but don't let them scare you away. Kahr, Bersa, and Simth and Wesson (imported) are priced well too. If money is not a problem, Springfield, Para Ordinance, Kimber, and others make some really nice units. Some even make 357 and 9 mm in a 1911 style frame. Your best bet is to look on line at these companies and others and narrow what you might like to see. A good sight that shows most brands is www.budsgunshop.com. The sight has great information and will give you an idea of price ranges. Find a range that rents pistols and test fire the ones that they have in your choice grouping. The go purchase your first choice!!! I say first choice because if you end up like myself, one becomes two, and so on.

Good Luck,
    Old Guy

5. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I don't see the 1911 as being "thick handled", but something along the lines of a SIG P225 or P239 might suit your wife better.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

As OldGuy mentioned. The Kahrs are nice. My bride is 5'1" and she totes a Kahr Model 4543 .45 ACP She has no problems with grip size or slide pull or recoil. As most mentioned. See if you can find a range that you can rent guns. Try before you buy. Good Luck. JUNK I forgot to mention she has the PM4543 Which is polymer.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've got fairly small hands with skinny fingers too and I'm really kinda partial to the way the 1911 fits my hands, especially compared to any double-stack magazine pistol. I also slimmed mine down a bit further by installing a set of Chip McCormick "slim" grip panels.

I've also got a Sig P6/P225 (single-stack 9mm) and the 1911 is still slightly smaller than it's grip. But for a double-action pistol, those single-stack Sigs are pretty good for small handed shooters.

As a recoil comparison, the 1911 in .45ACP has more of a backwards push compared to that P6, which has a pretty sharp muzzle-flip in comparison to a full-size 1911. Another option to consider would be a 1911 in either 9mm or .38 Super...a slender single-stack pistol in a lighter caliber than than .45ACP. That makes a pretty sweet package.

As others have suggested, finding a local range that has rentals would be a good way for both of you to try different models to see what fits you guys best.
    Also check for any local shooting clubs. A lot of them have members that will gladly meet up with you to let new shooters try out their personal firearms before making that final purchase decision.

8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My wife carries a Taurus .38 with hidden hammer and in Titanium. She handles it very well. She also has but doesnt carry a Taurus Millenium Pro .9mm. She has no problem shooting my Sig P-220 but hates my Glock 30 SF .45. Go figure. I guess it is because the Glock is fatter and the Sig has Crimson trace grips which she loves.

9. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

S&W Military and Police 9mm. They have 3 different size grip inserts to fit different-sized hands. They're VERY comfortable to hold and shoot. I love mine the more I handle and shoot it. If you want something a bit hotter, they make 'em in .40 and .45 as well. Something about that thing just feels great in my hand.

10. islenos

islenos Active Member

I have a S&W MP .45 ACP and Love it!

11. For a semi-auto for the wife, ineed, might I suggest a Sig Sauer P-232 in .380? Most women find this pistol very easy to manage, even those women with small hands.

12. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

+1 on the .380. Most women like them a lot, and aparently so do a lot of men, including myself. Can't find much in the way of ammo for this caliber in the stores right now though.

13. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Thanks for all the advise. There's now ammo for anything right now. I went to get some .22 the other day and had trouble with that...sheesh

14. dogspit

dogspit New Member

Smith & Wesson sw40ve semi auto.

Shoots like a butterfly stings like a bee!

Your wife will love it!

15. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Sig 229 DAK, equipped with TFO nightsights, Crimson Trace lasergrip, and a "short" trigger. 15+1 rounds of 9mm with MecGar magazines. In my view, the optimal home defense weapon for those whose hands aren't large enough for the 226.

One thing to consider though is that many women lack the grip strength to pull the slide all the way back effectively. My wife's preference is for the S&W 67 .38 K frame revolver.