The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to post this. Still new to the boards and so many options.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in Dallas? I used to go to Doc's Gun Shop, but he retired a while back and all I see around now are AR15 gunsmiths (not saying they're not real gunsmiths, but they usually don't have the tools needed for what I need). I have a Rem 700 action in 300 Win Mag that Doc blue printed many years ago and now I need a new barrel. I need a gunsmith that has the skills to not only re-barrel, but also match the chamber size to my specifications. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and great suggestions will get a "like" from me :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don. I've been aware of Shilen and their barrels for a while now. In fact my choice of barrels is between them and Krieger. But do these guys install the barrel and do the blueprinting as well? I don't think they do.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
It's about a 2-3 hour drive East of Dallas, but Longview Class III Arms is a real gunsmith. One man shop. (903) 918-0140

·
Premium Member
9,913 Posts
I’m told this is the man to see in Dallas. He has been smithing for decades, will fabricate parts if they cannot be found and has 6-7 shipping containers worth of parts. If you end up seeing him please let me know what you think.
7530E80D-BCCE-4EAB-AF60-767619487E44.jpeg

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I understand the wanting to keep it local, but if you want it done right the first time, I have a whole list of gunsmiths that specialize in what you want done, but none in TX.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the wanting to keep it local, but if you want it done right the first time, I have a whole list of gunsmiths that specialize in what you want done, but none in TX.
Appreciate it Trap. The main reason I want to keep it local is so that I can have a couple of sit downs with the smith to go over what I want and also to have him help me with the fit of the rifle to me. But if the above suggestions don't work out, I will definitely reach out to you for your list.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I'll check with my BIL in Katy and see who he suggests. I think his on site smith only does high end shotguns.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Talked to sis, their gunsmith does that kind of work for the bench shooters. They just completed construction on new buildings after the floods, and the phone system still has some glitches. Said there was a possibility when you call, you may not get connected to him. Said if that was the case, she could have him call you. As anal retentive as my BIL can be about the quality of work on his guns, if the guy wasn't good at what he does, he would be working somewhere else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to sis, their gunsmith does that kind of work for the bench shooters. They just completed construction on new buildings after the floods, and the phone system still has some glitches. Said there was a possibility when you call, you may not get connected to him. Said if that was the case, she could have him call you. As anal retentive as my BIL can be about the quality of work on his guns, if the guy wasn't good at what he does, he would be working somewhere else.
Appreciate it Trapp. I'll definitely contact him as well. With this many options, I should be able to hook up with a decent gunsmith. Just hope their wait times aren't astronomical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts