The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, if not please move it to the appropriate forum.
I have developed a couple of reduced loads for my .308 that perform extremely well out to 300yrds. Their muzzle velocity is 2000fps. Realisically, how far out can I expect them to maintain that performance? I'm only shooting paper, but I would like to give them a try at 600yrds. Is there a way to estimate loss of velocity at that range and would that make a difference when figuring out bullet drop?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Sounds fun. In the back of your reloading manuals you’ll probably find a set of ballistic tables. All you do is find the bullet diameter, weight and ballistic coefficient that matches the bullet your using. Locate your muzzle velocity and it will tell you the bullet drop at distances broken into 100 yard increments.

·
GUNZILLA
8,031 Posts
Just to clarify , you want to know maximum range or maximum effective range?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm asking about a realistic range for target shooting. Given the muzzle velocity the bullet will go subsonic fairly quickly and I don't know how much that will affect bullet drop at distances past 300yrds.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There is a plethora of ballistic calculators you can find online or your mobile phone, just plug the data you have in them and you can see bullet drop and velocity at whatever range you fancy.
2 of the first hits :

ShootersCalculator.com | Ballistic Trajectory Calculator
Ballistic Calculator GunData.org

It looks like that at 600 yards the bullet may or may not be supersonic, you didn't list it so I can't say.
Going subsonic is not just bad for bullet drop, but it ruins accuracy. You have to stay above speed of sound or below it for the entire flight for the best accuracy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How much of a reduced load are you talking about and in what caliber?

Really the only thing it will affect is how much elevation is needed to reach the target. Most ELR guns shoot the heaviest bullets they can get for the caliber which reduces muzzle velocity. In my .300 Win Mag, I shoot 190gr Berger VLDs at 2850 fps. That load has done me well out well past the 1k yards mark. I have another load for the same bullet that is over 3000fps but I prefer the lower node for its consistency.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Which bullet? That will make more difference than velocity. The old buffalo and target cartridges of the late 1870's - 1880's were BP and rarely exceeded 1200 fps with heavy for caliber bullets yet they were accurate to 1000 yards. You're beating them by 800 fps so, if you're shooting a heavy for caliber bullet I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at its performance. If you're shooting a lightweight, I think you'll be disappointed.

I shot the same cartridge as SeeMor except I used a Sierra 190 gr. Match King at 2900-2950 and also had excellent results to 1,000 yds. I never fired beyond that.

Reactions: Firpo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts