The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an A1 parts kit. Bought a NEW 20" pencil barrel. I have built a handful of AR kits in the past so I am comfortable with the job ahead. However, those were all new kits/parts.
After reviewing some discussions in multiple forums, I see that using a old BCG with new barrel is bad. Is this true? Why? I can check headspace as I always do. The Bolt itself looks very nice. Seems fine to me.

Also, I have an extra old A1 BCG I was thinking of using in another upper. Mistake? In any case, details will be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I think the main worry is headspacing when using a older BCG. If you can check it, then all is fine. If in doubt, just replace the bolt and rings. Carrier should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the main worry is headspacing when using a older BCG. If you can check it, then all is fine. If in doubt, just replace the bolt and rings. Carrier should be fine.
Thanks. Yeah, I can headspace so I will do that. I heard the bolt was the issue. Why I am so confused is that in the past they sold these kits WITH a new barrel. Today, they can't because of lack of barrels. ;) So, I guess the thousands of people who bought kits with barrels are at risk? In any case, I will debate buying the new bolt. (maybe after everything calms down).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.