Recipe needed for 5.56 NATO

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NOLA Handloader 88, Nov 12, 2017.

1. NOLA Handloader 88

NOLA Handloader 88 New Member

Just bought my first reloading press and am looking for a good powder load

Using Hornady 223 Remington case

Hornady 50 grain V-MAX bullets

VihtaVuori N530 powder

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I do believe that 5.56 NATO rounds use a 62 grain bullet.

In any case, what does your manual have to say about the load?

crystalphoto likes this.

3. NOLA Handloader 88

The smallest bullet I can find a load for is 55 grain and nothing said about VV powder. I'm probably going to pick up a more comprehensive manual tomorrow. Right now I have Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading 9th edition that came with the press.

rawright54 likes this.
  4. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Both my Lyman #49 manual and my Hornady #9 manual have .223 loads for a 50 grain bullet but neither one have ANY loads for VinhtaVuori powders. Even the chart that Conman linked to does not show N530 with a 50 grain bullet even though it does show for a 51 grainer.

If I were you I would write down all the powder, in the manual you are going to purchase tomorrow, that can be used with a 50 grain bullet and buy one of those powders. Since you have Hornady bullets, I suggest the latest Hornady manual.

PS: If you are using an iPhone, iPad, or something like a Kindle, you can get an electronic version of the Hornady manual a lot cheaper than the paper one.

6. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member

7. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FORUM. Vihta Vuori has in their load data for a .223 Remington with a 51 gr. bullet with this powder a starting load of 23.6 grains and a max load of 25.6 grains.

8. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome. Safe reloading is a precise endeavor. The title of this thread asks for data for a 5.56 NATO, but you're using .223 Remington cases and varmint bullets. The 5.56 and the .223 are slightly different cartridges, with different pressure profiles. If your rifle is a 5.56, the .223 brass and .223 load data will be ok. However, the lighter bullets may not shoot well in your 5.56, depending on the rate of twist.

rawright54 likes this.
  9. NOLA Handloader 88

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Sounds like I need to get a different powder that I can find a standard recipe for. I don't need to do free thinking on my first loads.

Any recommendations on good reloading books for a first timer with no mentor?

10. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd suggest Lyman's 50th Edition and any of the bullet manufacturer's manuals. Also, The ABC's of Reloading is a good general guide. Don't be afraid to ask questions as you go along.

accident, Grizzley1 and One Shot like this.
  11. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

12. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

The Hornady manual you have is an excellent book; I have the newer version, but there's nothing wrong with the edition you have. I also think well of the Speer and Sierra books; both have a wide selection of loads. I bought the Lyman book, based on recommendations from others, but I never use it. It has very limited data and nothing to offer compared to the others mentioned.

When in doubt, consult the website for either the powder you're using, or the bullets, and stick to tested loads. By the way, many sources will list only maximum loads - start with a powder charge that's 10% less than what's published, and work your way up from there to find the right powder charge for your gun. Check out the ladder testing links at the top of this Forum for a safe, smart way to find the perfect load for your gun. No two are the same, and it's part of the fun to find the perfect load for your favorite firearm!

Welcome to our addiction. Thankfully, there's no 12-step program, and no cure.:D

crystalphoto and howlnmad like this.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

In this case, I would recommend the Hornady manual because you're wanting to use their bullets. I would back that up with the Lyman 50th and the ones available from the powder manufacturers

crystalphoto likes this.