The Firearms Forum banner

Recoil buffer...why, and are you sure?

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Smokin Guns 
#1 ·
stuporman
(2/17/03 9:52:50 pm)
Reply Recoil buffer...why, and are you sure?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was making an order from www.ruger-1022.com and threw a Volquartzen recoil buffer.

I put chalk on it as I was putting it in, and fired one clip each of my usual ammo.

CCI Green Tag (practice ammo)
Eley Tenex EPS (for long shots)
Aguila SE Hollow Points (Squirrel killin with prejudice)
Aguila SSS 60 grain (just for fun...like peoples faces when they see the bullet)

Then I took down my Ruger for a thorough cleaning, and to examine the buffer.

Most of the chalk I applied to the buffer was "shaken" off. There was, however, no less chalk removed, rubbed, or hit off from the side facing the bolt.

Why did I put this sucker in? Maybe with hotter loads it might be of some use. Has anyone else tried this experiment? Or are engineers the only ones anal and methodical enough to spend days at the range with 14 boxes of different types of ammo, logging the pros and cons of each one...I need another hobby.

My observations about the chalk marks may be of no use if that post lets the rubber sheath spin each time struck. Next time I take down the receiver I will check.

Anyone got two bits?

NEtracker
(2/18/03 11:40:37 am)
Reply Interesting Experiment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also installed a buffer, and a few other things. Figure it couldn't hurt, and may help. Hadn't even thought about an experiment like yours. Keep us posted on future observations.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/18/03 12:07:02 pm)
Reply Re: Interesting Experiment

Quote:
The buffer is a resilient component at the rear of an automatic weapon against which the bolt or breech-block comes to rest after recoil. It absorbs some of the recoil energy and assists in controlling the rate of fire. The resilience may be due to springs, rubber, oil, or pneumatic media.

And knowing that the receiver is aluminum, I'm confidant that a buffer in a 10-22 is purely a safe guard from damage.

Quote:
"Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

hutch1510
(2/18/03 1:24:20 pm)
Reply maybe...
maybe as your spring fatigues it will work??? has your gun been shot alot or little? also is the recoil spring original? i am looking to build a 10/22 also and will probably put one of these in just to be sure.... thanks for the question... helps us all... hope someone with more experince has a better answer...

stuporman
(2/18/03 1:26:15 pm)
Reply So the recoil buffer is a just in case...
I guess the buffer is to soften the blow in case the bolt slides all the way back...

I guess it cant hurt, and it was cheap.
Thanks for the input

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/18/03 1:29:26 pm)
Reply Re: maybe...
Hey hutch1510... read my lips

Lot's of laughs

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/18/03 1:31:13 pm)
I'm sure someone can and will be able to give some 1st hand knowledge on this topic.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(2/18/03 3:34:38 pm)
I never have used a recoil buffer in a .22 rifle. IMHO, it's a waste of $$ that could be spent elsewhere. The .22 doesn't have much recoil to begin with.

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/18/03 6:11:34 pm)
If this is in a 10/22, you`ll soon see if not using one when you take it down; as the pins will simply fall out. This is the first sign of wear on a 10/22 receiver, as the "factory" steel pin slams against the soft aluminum (receiver bolt stop pin,) as time goes on.....all pins will loosen.....also makes it run smoother for fast follow ups.

LTS

riderbob
(2/25/03 11:56:46 pm)
Reply can't hurt
I have installed a voqu buffer and have found that the action cycles more quietly than my stock 10/22. so I think it might be worth it. LTS is right about the reciever wear, it doesn't take long and the pins just fall out when cleaning.

Rider

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.