The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a handful of 1911 colt parts in a grab bag including several barrels, an unmarked slide and this odd looking recoil spring guide. Any idea who makes it and what’s the purpose of the spring loaded pin that protrudes from the guide body? I’m assuming it’s a recoil buffer of some type and Is it safe to use in a full Colt Government 1911? Hoping some of your more experienced 1911 folks will chime in.
Thanks.
Wood Household hardware Automotive wheel system Metal Rim

Cylinder Auto part Metal Tool Household hardware

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing I've seen before, my guess for some kind of compact? @Shooter45 might know.
Thanks Trapp. My understanding is that it was installed in a full size frame along with the slide and barrel I bought, both of which are full size. I scoured the web and couldn’t find anything like it. It looks a little bit like a recoil management rod sold by Sprinco except on this the spring is visible. This one looks like someone modified an original Colt Guide Rod.

· Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I've always had good results with the Wilson Group Gripper. I checked them, and a few others, and nothing like that one. Taurus had some oddball looking guides, but nothing like that one. I'm guessing the screw slot is for access to the spring?
If not factory, someones better mouse trap?

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never seen one like it. If it was me I'd forget about it and just use a GI rod.
Exactly what I did but I was curious as to both the source and function of the modified rod. i suspect it’s for recoil management so I will shoot a few with the GI rod and a few of the same rounds with this rod and see if there is any real or perceived difference. If you’re interested I’ll report back. If not no worries 😉

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I went out this morning and shot 10 rounds of .45 ACP 230 gr SWC with a GI issue guide rod and then 10 rounds of the same with the modified guide rod. To be honest I really didn’t feel any reduction in recoil and, it seemed to me the original was smoother than the modified guide rod. So it will go in my parts locker more as a curiosity than anything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts