The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and to Northern VA. So far, I haven't found a gun store with a great selection. There are a lot of Dick's, AR15 shops, and ludicrously overpriced custom AR15 shops, but nothing I'd say is well rounded. Can anyone recommend a decent place?
To give you an idea, I'm originally from the Southwest where the best shops are run by old timers selling everything but kitchen sinks, and I'm looking to get my hands on an M1 Carbine.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
In the current time and situation M1 Carbines have become hard to find in many locations. I do the online work for a shop not too far away on Maryland,s Eastern Shore and I can tell you used guns are much harder to obtain then they used to be. I would guess at least 50 percent of our guns never hit the racks, they go directly online. It is a very different marketplace then what it was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Old Guns ,
Yea, that's strange. I was looking for a field gun and a change of pace from my norm. Was thinking about the mini-30 but I'm on the outs with Ruger over their quality as of late. I didn't realize the M1 carbine had become so sought after.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
M-1 carbines are in limited supply. There will never be more than there are now. Plus the ammo is a tad expensive. I have bought two during tbe past few months - one a shooter and one for the month/year my wife was born. It was a little more expensive!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Conman , thanks for the input. I know a couple companies are making reproductions. You can get them at Cabellas for about 750. I'm not sure what kind of quality they are though. I'd rather have an old shooter, myself.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
M1 carbines can be found if you have enough patience. The local shop gets a few in each year and I have seen other shops with them from time to time. Like all other things knowledge is you best friend when buying an M1. Some are just a collection of parts and others are an arsenal assembled parts gun. There is a difference in the two. Then there are truly original guns but you have to know every detail and have a book with you as well as be able to completely disassemble the gun to check it out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the best in NoVa is Sharpshooters in Lorton. They have an indoor range as well as a nice selection of used & consignment guns. There are several in Manassas that are nice also.

I would also suggest VAGT (Virginia gun trader) on line forum. Welcome to the forum this is my first post as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@MKC1911 , thanks for the recommendation. I've heard Manassas has a decent shop, but I'm still not sure which one. Looking at Sharpshooters website, they look like they have a decent selection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts