The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just decided to buy an AR-15. I bought a CORE M-Lok Scout for $789 in June, and I thought it was a good deal, but now the same gun is $1100, so I don't see any particular reason to recommend it.

What's a good gun in the $900-$1300 range?

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Not to sound harsh, but that's a lot like asking "what car should I buy?"
What does he plan on using it for? There are a LOT of variations to consider.
One "all purpose" gun is a lot like golfing with only one club.

So I've heard. I don't golf.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
You never know what you will get when you buy any gun. Maybe it will shoot stock stellar. Maybe it will shoot reload stellar. Then again, many shoot mediocre. Money doesn't necessarily guarantee a Ziva shooter. Want to know about AR's and how good they shoot, GD has a great deal of experience with ar's and their behaviors of getting those sub-moa likelyhood.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Nothing wrong with the S&W M&P offerings if you can find them.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have a S&W M&P Sport II and I love it. I paid 800.00 for it a few months ago but I got a soft case, 4 extra P mags and 100 rounds of Norma ammo

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Plenty of those in the link fit the criteria. Finding one might be a bit of a booger.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My recommendation is wait until after Trump wins re-election. If he doesn't, (win, that is) it's moot. Biden says he'll send Beto to take them from us.

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
I went with my son to our LGS as they had the Ruger AR on sale for $490 several years ago. It was so cheap I bought one also. I have only shot it twice but what I found is it is very accurate and no problems. My only issue is the trigger sucks. I do want to get a better one soon.

My son got me a scope for it for last Christmas and I need to get it sighted in. My son was hitting targets at 200 yards with a Walmart $26 scope with it. I haven't shot many AR's but I would recommend this one.

Reactions: COMSnomad

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plenty of those in the link fit the criteria. Finding one might be a bit of a booger.
The Wyndham guns I saw have old-style handguards.

·
Super Moderator
38,421 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what new style or old style handguards are!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Many, but not all of the "modern sporting rifles" come with terrible triggers. You should leave a little extra in the budget for one of the many "drop in replacement" trigger assemblies. If you have the skill you can just buy a kit, replace certain parts and end up with a good trigger pull.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts