The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Cheap accurate revolver......It really depends on what you mean by accurate. :unsure: Ruger wrangers are fun guns but 50 yard target guns they are not. A used single six would fill the bill if you can find one. If you are not stuck on a revolver a Ruger MK I II III or 4 will fit the bill as well as Browning Buckmarks or Smith Victory, $400 to $500.

·
Premium Member
22,037 Posts
Here is my Ruger Single Six my x-wife got me for Christmas in 1976. This gun is very accurate. I still have it. If you want a accurate 22 SA I would save my money up for one like this. You don't need this long a barrel I would say 71/2 would work almost as good.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Here is my S&W Victory. This gun is very accurate. I paid around $400 for it a few years ago.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Here is my Ruger Mark 111. It also is very accurate. The only problem I have with it is it very hard to field strip and clean. You can get these used for around $400.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since I couldnt buy my son a Heritage in Illinois (melting point of Zamak), I got a Ruger Wrangler. It shoots well...pretty good at 10 yards. My EAA Bounty Hunter is a lot better, not to mention as heavy as a big bore Single Action. But my Ruger Mark IV Standard is really accurate, and has never had a failure of any kind (with high velocity ammo).

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I can't get past the safety on the Heritage. I looked at a few Wranglers but the Cerakote finish was fugly. I ended up paying about 75.00 more than the Wrangler for a used Single Six. The finish is a little worn but it locks up tight.

There will never be a single six down here in that price range and we're only a couple of hundred miles apart.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Since I couldnt buy my son a Heritage in Illinois (melting point of Zamak),
Any idea when that law went into effect?
I bought my first Heritage, the 3.5" birds head in Illinois......probably in the early 80's.
It was actually a gift for my wife. The antique look of it is what made my buy it, she collects antiques.
Still a fun gun to shoot.

Where are you from ThomasJ?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I paid 275.00 for mine at my LGS in Columbus MS a couple of years ago. Like I said the finish isn't that great but it is a good shooter.

How in the world did you get anything that cheap out of Gary's? I've always thought he was high. Now I'm thread drifting again. To the OP I just bought a Ruger Wrangler but I haven't shot it yet. Don't laugh but the most accurate 22 revolver I've ever owned was an RG 66. My son has it now. I paid a whopping $50 for it.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
How in the world did you get anything that cheap out of Gary's? I've always thought he was high. Now I'm thread drifting again. To the OP I just bought a Ruger Wrangler but I haven't shot it yet. Don't laugh but the most accurate 22 revolver I've ever owned was an RG 66. My son has it now. I paid a whopping $50 for it.
You do know Gary died in August? They're not too bad on most stuff, no higher than anybody else and cheaper than a lot. They're the only ones that kept 9mm and .556 in stock all through the so called pandemic at cheaper prices than anywhere else that had it. I've had three RG 66's but they all got away from me. I would love to have another one. I wanted a Wrangler until I saw one. I'm sure they're good guns but that Cerakote was awful on every one they had. I couldn't afford a new Single Six so I asked if they had a used one and they brought this one out of the back. I guess it wasn't nice enough to put in a display case.

·
Premium Member
22,037 Posts
4 or 5 years ago you could buy a Ruger Singel Six used around here for $300-400. It didn't seem to matter if it was a new model or an older 3 screw. Even some flat tops were mixed in. No one seemed to want them. Those days are long gone now. People started to collect them and the price skyrocketed. I wish I would have bought a few more when they were cheap.

SA handguns were never popular around here. Everyone wanted the new plastic fantastic semi-autos. Now they snap up all of these SA and you can't find them anymore.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I started with a Ruger S-6 and learned to shoot it pretty well. At 15yds I could smoke cans off de fence.
Buddies all had H&Rs, IJs and imports. It seemed like these low end 22 revolvers weren’t much count.
They were known as Shell Wasters.
I wouldn’t own a Herritage, somebody has them on sale right now for $79.95 after rebait. The Wrangler is much better gun, we are know at approx $200. The Ruger is more accurate than Herritage but it’s not a tack driver either. You would be much better off saving up and looking for good deal on a used S&W. K22, m18 and 34s can be found in $400-$500 range. They might be ones with cosmetic issues but don’t affect accuracy. Also a DA S&W is much easier for the beginner to shoot well. A combination of excellent trigger and short hammer fall is the reason. Shooting a k22 for the first time is almost like getting religion. The only difference is many backslide on religion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
+1 for a used single six

Any of the mark mdls are good guns. As long as you let the hammer down on them when you take em apart they go back together pretty easy. If you can do with semi auto. Its still 22LR and most don't pick those up for reloading anyway. The magazines load like butter when you hold the spring down.

Might see a H&R 9-22 around the hock shops from time to time. They aren't as accurate as the single six IMO but are reliable and wont fall apart like some of the pot metal die cast stuff out there. They are DA/SA.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
I've
Might see a H&R 9-22 around the hock shops from time to time. They aren't as accurate as the single six IMO but are reliable and wont fall apart like some of the pot metal die cast stuff out there. They are DA/SA.
I've got an H&R Sportsman made before they started calling them 999's, 1935 I think. It will outshoot my Single Six but it's DA/SA so I don't shoot it much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As an old single action shooter, I get around the Heritage safety by simply loading 5, just like the Colt clones or the Flat Top Blackhawk I own.

·
Registered
170 Posts
These two statements don't seem to coincide, LOL. I love my Heritage Rough Riders (I have 4) but tack-drivers . . . they are not.
Here's a Guns & Ammo article from a while back, where they review the 6.5" barrel as well as the 16" monster.
The 6.5" barrel yields 2.5" groups at 25 yards, all hitting about 2 inches left of center off a sandbag. The long barrel model, OTOH maintained sub-1" groups from a sandbag.
Agree. Best with Winchester or CCI. The Rider offers adjustable sights but only saw one at a show. Another $20 but so?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts