The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Garandaholic
9,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a red one with a kind of script font, and a black one with a blocky font.

Can anybody tell me the story of why Ruger has 2 different logos?

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Mr. Sturm put up the money for Mr. Ruger to open a gun company. Sturm Ruger. Their company logo was this kinda Heraldic eagle. Red.

Within the first couple of years Mr. Sturm died. The eagle went into mourning. It turned black.

1999 was the 50th year of Ruger being in business. To celebrate, the Eagle came out of mourning. It is now red, again.

· Registered
9,374 Posts
Mr. Sturm put up the money for Mr. Ruger to open a gun company. Sturm Ruger. Their company logo was this kinda Heraldic eagle. Red.

Within the first couple of years Mr. Sturm died. The eagle went into mourning. It turned black.

1999 was the 50th year of Ruger being in business. To celebrate, the Eagle came out of mourning. It is now red, again.
Bingo. You should have been a writer. Very well said Alpo.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
And as for the text itself...
The new block-style font showed up around the time that the SR-556 AR-clone came out.
Looks to me like most of the modern plastic pistols and the AR-clone (and the SR1911!?!) Rugers are marketed with the new font, while the older "traditional" Rugers still use the serif style font.

If they start roll-marking the Blackhawks, GPs and other wheelguns with the blocky logo I think I'll stop buying em. :D That just don't look right...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.