Red dot?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by TorontoBluejays, Aug 11, 2017.

1. TorontoBluejays

TorontoBluejays Member

i have a ruger 10/22 and after shooting it for a while wanted to try something other than the iron sights. I was considering a small scope but I still shoot at close range and don't want to adjust for it.

I thought a red dot was good because for the 10-25 yard shooting would be good and I can still go out to 100 yards. I'm not looking for super accuracy just enough to hit a decent sized target.

My question is what should I get. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I heard that cheap red dots break quickly. I don't have much experience with scopes and red dots.

Any feedback as to what to get/ alternatives are appreciated!

carver, shootbrownelk and drymag like this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dang, I thought this was about powder :oops:. My bad.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Cheap does not always mean bad.

About 10 years ago, I bought two cheap red-dot scopes. I put one of them on my Ruger Mark III 22/45s. and put the other one on one of my ARs. Both of them are still working fine as far as holding the "zero". The batteries seen to run down at the most inopportune times. These are Simmons brand and I seem to remember paying $9.95 for them at my LGS.

I also have four other red-dots, three mounted on AR's and one laying here on my desk. I haven't decided what to put it on. The three on the ARs are not cheap ones, one is an EOTech at something like $350 (+/-)one was $100, and the other was $45. I don't remember what brand the two are but I cannot tell any difference between them and the two $10 ones - other than they have either a green or a red dot. The one on my desk is a BSA and also has the red/green dot choice, I think this one cost about $20.

I will add this, you absolutely won't get any precision shooting out of them. At 50 yards the dot covers the entire bulls eye, plus a little.

4. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you get a red dot, hopefully it is one you can dim. The dimming can work like making the dot smaller so you can aim small hit small. Many of the high intensity red dots competely convers the center blacked out target. I found that using it like a figure eight helped. But going dimmer helped control the groups.

5. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I have tried several cheap red dots also and had no luck until I got a UTG for about $35 and it has red or green
    It has really lasted a long time and holds zero

6. TorontoBluejays

TorontoBluejays Member

carver and drymag like this.
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

actually, no but the one you posted looks like an upgrade to mine

here is the one I have

scp-341_1.jpg

carver, drymag and howlnmad like this.
  8. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't own a red dot, but wanted to comment about scopes. If you buy a rimfire scope it will be parallax adjusted at 25 yards and you'll have no problem sighting at the 5 to 10 yard range and they work fine out to 100 or so. Or you can buy a scope with a parallax adjustment. Just saying there are options for scopes.

9. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

dbcooper and carver like this.
  10. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I thought it was about a Seinfeld/sweater episode.

11. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I bought one for $24.99 at Cabelas and it's on my 10/22. So far, so good.

carver likes this.
  12. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

If anybody had told me that was no good when I first started here....

carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The more features a red dot has the harder it is to make it well for cheap.

Multiple reticules (dot, circle, cross, etc) is a mechanical mask that has to click into place when selected with the result that sometimes they don't co-align for zero's. Auto adjust does not allow you to control the dot size with the intensity of the dot and its size on the target. Reflex types are open to the elements (tube types protect all the internals). Battery changes that require removing the red dot to change the battery means re-zeroing. The red dot windage adjustments that use apposing screws are a pain to use and adjust accurately whereas better red dots have regular click adjustment (or scales on the friction knobs) windage and elevation adjustments. Better red dots have good factory support unlike no-name brands.

The most red dot for the least money I have found is the bottom of the line (one inch or 30mm) UltraDot tube type. I have MANY of them and none has failed yet. By contrast when red dots were new some 25 years ago every Tasco red dot I owned had to go back for repairs. I have had cheap red dots quit working and ones whose zeroing adjustments were hard to use accurately. Also battery changes requiring red dot removal has meant re-zeroing on one red dot I had. I will no longer buy red dos with auto intensity. I must be able to control the red dot intensity and hence, its dot size.

Red dots, in my old age, allow me to still shoot accurately so I have many on handguns and rifles, both rimfire and centerfires, (I reload for over 30 different calibers and have SAFES full of guns).

LDBennett

One Shot and carver like this.
  14. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Best bang for the buck on an inexpensive red dot is the Bushnell TRS 25 IMHO.

Country101, Rugermanws and carver like this.
  15. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

The same experience I've had George. Fast target acquisition at close range, but then that benefit goes away at anything past 50 yards.

dbcooper likes this.