The Firearms Forum banner

Red Nine

Tags
my9 red nine
1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  sharps4590 
#1 ·
Would appreciate an evaluation on this piece. Inherited 18 yrs ago and was in relatives possession for many yrs. He was German POW and he may have brought back with him. I can't verify that fact. The finish is original and I feel it would be 98%. All numbers matching including handles and holster stock. Wood in top condition with no cracks. Rifling almost seems like gun has never been s
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Tan
Brown Gun Trigger Black Grey
Brown Gun Black Tan Trigger
Brown Tan Still life photography Silver Steel
Grey Composite material Metal Silver Carbon
Wood Product Brown Gun Firearm
Grey Carbon Household hardware Tool
Photograph Black Monochrome Grey Monochrome photography
White Grey Composite material Silver Aluminium
hot or very little. I have never shot it to preserve condition and possibility of damaging a numbered part.

See less See more
Reactions: Guts3d and Old Ron
#5 ·
Here is a link to an old thread about C96 red 9 that you might find of interest.
https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/mauser-c96-red-9-broomhandle.110650/

I had one a few years ago that looked as good as yours but during a stupidity attack, I sold it for almost nothing. I have a couple of posts in that thread and one of them was a link to about the best C96 website ever, which is now gone.

#10 ·
A year ago at the annual gun auction locally there was a substantial collection of '96 Mausers. The bad ones brought a grand. One like that with numbers matching and the holster I would think closer to 4K. They are highly desirable.

Reactions: Guts3d and bbirder
#14 ·
Wow...according to Conman's link I was short a couple grand. I remember that locally, before the auction I mentioned, every gun guy in town was talking about the collection of 96's that was listed. There was a lot of money spent at that one.

Reactions: bbirder
#16 ·
I know George! I hadn't followed them very close for several years and when the local guys that are into them started talking about what they would bring I about fell over. I don't know what caught them on fire so much of late, maybe the 100th anniversary of WWI? That was where they saw their most use I believe.

The collection I mentioned was significant. If I remember correctly there was over 30 and some of them were pristine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.