The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.. is it possible and effectively functional to reduce the trigger pull on a S&W Model 638 Airlite? If it matters its in a 38 spcl. Or will it reduce the ability of the hammer to strike the primer and make it go bang?
Thanks for any info,
Shawn.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The J-frame Smith & Wessons aren't that difficult to tune up...if you're familiar with them. Like anything else though, it's easy to mess em up worse than stock or even make an unsafe trigger.

If you have the tools and know how to do some spring swapping, I would start out with a Wolff spring kit. That will give you a lighter hammer spring, and several choices of rebound springs to lighten up the trigger pull.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=58
Look about halfway down the page. There are two J-frame kits...one for centerfire (the one you'd need) and one for rimfire.

If that is still not satisfactory, I would recommend a trip to a gunsmith who is familiar with the J-frame Smiths for some polishing. This won't lighten things very up much more, but it will slick up the action enough that things will work much smoother. Your perceived trigger pull will be lighter.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Shawn. Skipper has it right on. The rrebound slide spring is AKA the trigger return spring. it resides in that rectangular box just behind the trigger. It can bee tough for a newby at S&W revolver trigger jobs to tackle but gets easier as you learn the tricks. You can simply remove a coil or 2 from it, reinstall it and check weight. Wolff springs also offers a S&W revoilver action spring kit that will not only smooth and lighten pull but also upgrades the springs to better and more durable material than factory. You will need about a 7.5# DA pull to reliably function most ammo brands.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Wolff has several different weights for rebound springs and hammer springs. Factory standard is 16lb rebound and 10 lb hammer. The easy route is replacing the rebound spring with a 14lb and the hammer spring with a 8lb. This combo will give a 9.5 lb DA trigger. Wolff does offer a 11lb rebound which will drop the trigger pull even more. I use this combo for many people with arthritis or just weaker hands. Cut two coils from the rebound spring. It will drop the DA to 6-7 lbs but it requires some intervention of the internals for the trigger to return. If you just replace the rebound spring with an 11lb and do nothing to the internals, then when the trigger is pulled it will just stay back. Also do not clip any coils out of the hammer spring if going to the 8 lb hammer spring, some harder primers won't pop. I have the 8lb/11lb combo in my 642 and Ive yet to have a problem. Ive done the same combo in many many others without issues.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Best ammo to test with is Winchester white box. Winchester makes the hardest primers, next to Milspec primers, there are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts