Refinishing Laminated Stocks

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

chad
    (12/2/02 7:11:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Laminated SKS stocks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have any of ya'll ever refinished a laminated stock. I just bought one, and it's in bad shape. Beautiful wood, but bad coating. So far I have used ZIP-STRIP to remove the old finish, and a coat of Blip seal on one side. I was just wandering if any of ya'll have ever tried this before and what you used. Thanks

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/2/02 8:31:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Laminated SKS stocks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually, I have refinished several of these in the same maner as a regular hardwood stock - working down through a series of grit papers, finally OO steel wool, boiled linseed oil coats, and polish with OOOO steel wool. The laminates I refinished actually sanded faster than regular hardwood.