The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 1957 my mom gave my dad a brand new shotgun as a gift for their first Christmas. I have a photo of the occasion somewhere but would take me forever to find it. Dad used it for Rabbits and Quail (26" barrels) until the 70's when he bought himself a self loader. He then let my two younger brothers and I all use this gun as our first shotgun so it took some abuse over the years. I finally got around to fixing the old gun back up. Its a JC Higgins 101.7 with no s/n but it has G stamped in it in a couple locations which should indicate it was made the same year as it was purchased. Here's a few photos.

Work this far:
  • Replaced the missing butt plate that got lost when it was removed so a slip over pad would fit. Dad put that on for me cause it kicked like a mule and left my shoulder blue when I was 11/12 yrs old. It rotted away eventually and the removed plate got lost. The replacement went on pretty easy though as the screw holes actually lined up with the original holes (yep I 'bout passed out). After about an hour of draw filling and sanding it fits pretty well.
  • Replaced the broken pot metal trigger guard with a steel unit from Numr.. Fits okay but doesn't have the curled section behind the back trigger like the original does. I may do more searching on this for a duplicate replacement or tig weld a piece in the new one so it looks right. The original had the front screw or a post cast into the guard which is broken off so... I'm probably the one that broke the guard but I can't remember for sure it was years ago.

Work to do:
  • The firing pin for the rear trigger (left) barrel is stuck so I have to go in and fix that. Soaked it a few times and shot in some cleaning solvent but hasn't broken loose. It had done this before so not the first time having to fix it. Exciting if some one tried to load it and it went off when they tried to close it up.
  • Go shoot up some clay pigeons with my boys and figure out which one will end up with it.

These old guns were pretty solid shooters in their day and still today. Stevens made these for Sears under the JC Higgins line for some years. I also have a Ted Williams Mdl 100 30-30 (Win94) that was purchased from Sears, Roebuck, and Co but it is from the 60s and has a s/n. Its in good shape and needs no repairs or fixen :). The Williams line replaced the Higgins sometime in the 60's. I think Higgins was a VP at Sears and Williams was a ball player.

I'm fixen up the dbl 12 so when I pass it on to one of my sons it will be safe and reliable. These typically only go for a couple hundred bucks but still are great guns especially when they have a family history.

Hope you have similar firearms that have been left to you that you can pass along to your children or grand-kids. As I, you are truly blessed if you do.

·
GUNZILLA
7,547 Posts
The firing pin for the rear trigger (left) barrel is stuck so I have to go in and fix that. Soaked it a few times and shot in some cleaning solvent but hasn't broken loose. It had done this before so not the first time having to fix it. Walmart, Academy, and boating places sell it. Might be cheaper at Walmart or Academy.
I use this product on all my firearms. I even found a pair of rusted pliers shut in sea water. I sprayed them with Corrosion X and now use the pliers in all my fishing trips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts