Regarding "cheap" knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by dougj, May 16, 2020.

1. dougj

dougj New Member

When I found myself somewhat angry with China's misinformation about the virus I also realized that almost all of my knives were made there. I went looking for an EDC that was anything but. Now I carry a "cheap" Pakistan Chipaway 7 1/2" fixed blade. Any money went into the nice-looking burnt bone handle. I am pretty sure that this is not the knife I will take with when I parachute into the great Northwest. I have fine knives. My point is that whilst the blade may be cheap it is nice and "pointy". When I started collecting I noticed too many big-bellied skinner types. I feel safe on the street with this cheapo regardless of how long it will hold an edge. It's my apple cutter, box cutter and it's pretty to boot. So cut the cheapos some slack. Yes, I had to smooth out all of the machine marks and I bet not one of their knives come perfect. But I now feel a bond with this little guy. Hey, take that China!

2. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Me I use the cheap knives. ( sheffield, Schrade, Case). They serve the purpose of what I need them for.

3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think some knives are still made in the USA. Maybe put a couple extra bucks together and get one.

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use the $4 Walmart knifes for anything that may damage a good knife. After this virus I will never buy anything from China (if I can help it) again. Since we have moved all our manufacturing to China I know that will be hard to do.

5. Skipper

Skipper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I have several cheap knives. Nearly all of them are some kind of dagger from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I like daggers. My carrying knife, old, old Made in the USA Case or a Jimmy May Damascus. It was made in Auxvasse, Missouri.

7. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My cheap daily knife is a Victorinox Tinker. Used one for decades and find myself grabbing for it several times a day.

12DFE155-B590-42BA-A6E8-E10A52A918F7.jpeg

8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one of those too, mark. Always can find a use for it around the house.

9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Buck still makes most of their knives near Post Falls Idaho. I carry a 110 most of the time. At work Spyderco Atlantic Salts get the nod. Neither knife is cheap but you can count on them for their intended purposes. I have no use for a cheap knife. Lost a few weeks good work because a cheapo came open on my harness slicing my palm open coming up the ladder.

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

China can make quite decent knives, IF the US vendor makes sure they follow proper QC. If not, China will cut corners.
    Pakistan..... sheer rubbish. Never had a good blade from there. Generally too hard to sharpen correctly, and won't hold their edge.
    One of my best knives is a genuine India-made Kukri. Strong, sharp, can fell a tree, dig a cat hole and skin out a deer. Were I to lose my sanity and go on that "Naked and Afraid" survival show, I'd take this Kukri!

11. TreeDave

TreeDave Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Shrader stockman Made in the USA.
    carried it for several years

12. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Anymore, I prefer my knives to be made in the USA. But i do have some cheapo Chinese knives for light duty, but I won't be getting anymore from there.

13. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Mine is a case my Grandson gave me for Christmas about 5 years ago.

14. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

one of my friends is a professional knife maker. he has been on the cover of a couple of knife magazines and his son was on t.v. for making knives. he sold a tomahawk to robin williams before he died. his knives are very well made, but costly.

15. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

I carry a Letherman Rebar, and a folding knife from, Knifes of Alaska. Both have served me will for a long time.