Regarding "cheap" knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by dougj, May 16, 2020.

1. TreeDave

TreeDave Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They jump to attention when I enter the room. HAHA. pick me pick me
    There is a gruve in the boars

2. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Mine was for Christmas from my Grandson.
    He has probably 80 knives.

gvw3, ms6852, shootbrownelk and 2 others like this.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of knives too. I collected some old German made Solingen steel knives with bone handles. Great workmanship on those knives. I have a couple of Buck 110's and a fixed blade Buck with a gut hook. Nowadays for hunting I started to use a Gerber Big Game knife with scalpel blades and a Havalon scalpel blade knife. I got the Havalon with a magazine subscription. I'm too lazy to sharpen in the field while skinning a mud encrusted bull elk these days and the knives with the replaceable scalpel blades are the answer for me. Scary sharp.

sharps4590, tedwitt, TreeDave and 4 others like this.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

These is a group of knives I took pictures years ago, and since than the collection had wild Christmas parties and tripled in size, so I don't really know how many I have now.
    [​IMG]

5. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My two favorites: Everyday carry knife is a small copy of the big Buck 110 folder. About a 2 1/2 inch blade and six inch overall length. Really holds an edge. Marked Winchester on the blade; no idea where it was made. Bought it for five bucks at a yard sale.
    Belt knife is a drop point, 3 7/8 inch blade, handmade by a custom maker. Was a birthday gift about 40 years ago. Also holds an edge really well. Have lost count of how many whitetails and hogs I've dressed with it.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    tedwitt, joe45c, ms6852 and 1 other person like this.
  6. bill460

bill460 Member

I agree that the quality of Chinese knives has gone up considerably in the last few years. I have dozens of them. And they all suit my needs fine. I just can't see spending $200.00+ on a folding knife. I've never had one fail, and they all hold an edge very well. Hatred for China products today, is much like Trump hatred. Misguided and misinformed.

tedwitt and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  7. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ya mean like this Little guy?

8F2912E5-6EF6-4A48-85AD-9C45279381C1.jpeg 5382ACFA-874A-4C87-B60A-595C6DD8EC6B.jpeg

TreeDave, sharps4590, ms6852 and 4 others like this.
  8. KansasPaul

KansasPaul Active Member

I've owned all kinds of knives, typically folders, over the years and learned to dislike "cheap" knives because of the lack of quality and inability to hold an edge. One of my all time favorites was a light weight Gerber folder, super slim handle that I bought at a boat & RV show in San Francisco in 1985. I carried that knife almost every day for 30 years until some dirt bag broke into my car and stole it along with other personal items (stupid me for leaving them in the car). Today my EDC knife is a Lion Steel SR-1 (made in Italy), I plan to own it until I go to the grave.

9. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Limbo Jimbo and tedwitt like this.
  10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

My daily EDC knife changes periodically. Right now it's a Tac Force wood handled folder made in China. Sharp, easy to sharpen, can open it one handed.

Limbo Jimbo and tedwitt like this.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a lot of China knifes and plan to use them until they are lost or I am dead. I will not buy anymore. I have plenty of knifes and don't need to buy any more. If I do buy any they will be made any place but China.

12. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

What is an inexpensive knife to some, may not be considered so inexpensive for others.

There are those who see a handmade knife as art, others as just a tool.

Same as those who buy Snap-On vs those who buy Craftsman or those who buy at the Dollar Store.

They probably realize they are buying lesser quality, but that is what they can afford or possibly, the quality is good enough for their purpose.

I have had times where I didn't have change for the Coke machine. There have been times where I have made an impulse buy, just because I had $1000 in my pocket and it spent as easy as throwing a penny in a fountain.

Inexpensive, cheap, quality, value are in the eyes of the consumer.

Many eyes are opening to see a different light.

One thing that does matter to me and has for many years; is Country of Origin. Our biggest problem is finding anything Made in USA.

I avoid made in China. I support Mom and Pop shops.

Hallmark cards are MADE IN CHINA and cost $3 or much more.
    But, American Greeting cards are $1 and sold at Dollar Tree.

sharps4590, tedwitt, Firpo and 3 others like this.
  13. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

I had hoped to give my son his first pocket knife---a father/son rite of passage thing, but to avail---he joined the Cub Scouts and associates, friends and relatives, gifted him with over a dozen cheap made in the PRC pocket knives without even consulting me:mad:

Now the kid has no appreciation for quality and sees no reason to take care of his knives---after all they practically grow on trees.:(

14. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Can't push "like"
    That is beyond shameful. Should be illegal.

tedwitt, joe45c and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  15. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

Aye. They were all crap knives, many were promo "give aways" palmed off on the poor kid.
    I'd never give a kid a knife without first asking his parents.
    It's a stupid world.

ral357, tedwitt, joe45c and 1 other person like this.