Regarding "cheap" knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by dougj, May 16, 2020.

1. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Is the official Cub Scout knife still the darn near indestructible Camillus with the blue scales with the brass badge set in them?
    I still have mine.

Limbo Jimbo and joe45c like this.
  2. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

I remember mine!
    Ironically the new ones are made in the PRC The BSA too, although they have a SAK option​

Limbo Jimbo likes this.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just like when they bought the US Olympic Team’s uniforms from China. Simply inexcusable. Thankfully I do not own a single knife that was made in China. Wish I could say that about everything I own but unfortunately there’s just no way to completely avoid the commies.

4. bill460

bill460 Member

Chinese quality has not been accepted yet. Just as Japanese quality wasn't accepted when it began to improve, when we were kids back in the 60's and 70's. China, just like Japan, will develop world class, quality products. They already are. Knives, tools, and other products have all vastly improved in quality in the last 20 years. That's a fact many Americans don't want to accept because of politics. But the problem is the politics have nothing to do with the quality. One doesn't correlate with the other.

You can hate China for it's politics, but that in itself doesn't lessen the quality of their goods. They will continue to improve regardless. China, like Japan, started out making crap, as it was trying to develop it's industrial base. Now it has. Many American and Japanese companies have already shifted production there. This global market is getting larger, and it's quality is improving every day.

For example. What's the difference if you buy a Honda or a Kohler gas engine, or a Harbor Freight Predator engine? All 3 are now made in China. Both Kohler and Harbor Freight are American companies, who employ thousands of American workers. Honda is a Japanese company, who's profits support the Japanese economy more than they do ours. Yet many will dis Harbor Freight, and support Honda.

It makes absolutely no sense if you think about it. Anymore than you think you're buying an American car when you buy a Chevy made in Mexico. And dis someone for buying a Japanese Honda that's made in Marysville, Ohio. Or a Toyota made in San Antonio, Texas. It doesn't matter if you're for or against this. It doesn't change the improving quality of the goods one bit... Regardless of where they are manufactured.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

There are differences and they are not subtle. Tell my oldest son it cool. He was one of the people who bought a house with Chinese dry wall. No one helped him out. A struggling young family man obligated to continue make payments on a house that he could not live in. The child that was brought into the world while they lived there before the problems were known has autism. A factor, who knows? No one in the families has ANY history of such maladies. He eventually had no choice but walk away from a house that could not be sold, suffering financial hardships for several years. There are countless insults because of Chinese products. Do I think they are doing it on purpose, probably not. It's more in line with they really don't care they are engaged in a financial war. Some of their products are of good quality with great improvements of late but do not think it has anything to do with care for their customers in the west. They are in it to win. Then there is the question of labor. It bothers me that many things produced there are the very best tired underpaid serfs can make. Until recently those tired fingers were as young as 8. They say that has stopped and as we call know they never lie.

Do I have Chinese products in my house? Or course at this point I can no more avoid that than seeing my tax dollars squandered by Democrats buying votes with entitlement programs.

6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Have Chinese products improved? Of course they have. Is China responsible for Covid-19? Of course they are. Have we lost millions of jobs to China? Of course we have. Do I hate China? No, of course not. Do I disapprove of their government lying, pirating our products, persecution of Christians, their communist form of government which puts the state above the individual, their government murdering millions of their citizens under Mao and a litany of things longer than I have time or space to enumerate. Of course I disapprove and I will no longer purchase any of their products if there is any way to avoid it.

ral357 and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  7. Limbo Jimbo

Limbo Jimbo Well-Known Member

I agree and they are doing so with American Doller's . I try buy American an as we all know that is and impossible task .

sharps4590 likes this.
  8. bill460

bill460 Member

I'm not saying every product that comes from China today represents quality. Drywall, hardwood flooring, and dog food among them. But it does not change the fact their quality is improving. And has in fact improved a tremendous amount in the last 20 years. And will continue to even more dramatically in the next 20. World consumers will demand it, or they won't continue to purchase their products.

In another 2 decades or less, Chinese quality on several fronts will be on par with the rest of the world. Not so much because of the Chinese. But because of developed countries like the United States and European nations investing in manufacturing there. They have, and will continue to bring up the level of quality to meet their demands to a worldwide market. It's all but unavoidable.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  9. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

The PRC can probably build anything they want. The most sub standard stuff from the PRC appears to come from US companies who find that cheap sells, so they import cheap stuff.
    However I've seen too many fine old US companies be bought up by the PRC and the current production offered has become mostly junk.

I refuse to support an economy that treats it's people like the PRC does.
    I refuse to support an economy that ships US jobs (and every other country's jobs) overseas to support a hostile Leviathan.

At least I refuse as much as possible, which admittedly ain't much considering there is little choice otherwise.

Limbo Jimbo, ral357 and sharps4590 like this.
  10. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

And you totally missed my point. We need to undo our dependence on a nation who doesn't regard us as a freind. I will gladly pay more for Japanese, US, German, Canadian products.
    If you think they are improving their products because they like the western world you are sadly mistaken. The Japanese improvements were largely due to two factors. Of course they are competitive, they want to make a profit. The other is pride. The difference is the ultimate goal of Japan is not world domination, the Chinese would like very much to call the shots on the world stage.
    I certainly do not want conflict with the Chinese but it is naive to not recognize they are very much at war with the west and foolish not to take appropriate steps to mitigate the damage. Improvements in the quality of products is not what's important. A fool will take the short term deal at the cost of his children's future.
    The quality of their production and the technology that made a great deal of their recent advances possible are predatory, steal and payoff can and has shortcut their path. Politicians have had their pockets stuffed to look the other way while sensitive technologies find their way there.
    I tried to buy a Tv a while ago that wasn't made in china....ain't happening. If We just go on well its inevitable and ring our hands they will own the mortgage on our grandchildrens homes.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Limbo Jimbo and sharps4590 like this.
  11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

I have much more trouble with things made in Mexico and Pakistan, than in China. But if I have the chance, I'll buy American than Chinese due to their political agenda and actions.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  12. bill460

bill460 Member

How are we "dependent" on them? Anything I've bought from China I did by choice. The problem is people today lack their own financial independence. China has nothing to do with that. It's a combination of bad parenting, and foolish spending. Parents are in debt up to their ass. So they raise their kids to be the same.

They create their own problems because they save nothing, and buy everything they see. It's not China's fault that our kids are stupid enough to camp out in the cold on lawn chairs overnight. Just so they can be the first on the block to buy the latest I-Phone or X-Box with a credit card. Then complain about the price of gas on the way home. We are too quick to blame countries abroad for foolish behavior that starts right under our own roofs. China needs us far more than we need them.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

In debt up to their necks would be more appropriate and polite, yes? Seems more and more are unable to express themselves unless they resort to foul language. Must have been their parents failure to teach them.

joe45c and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  14. Limbo Jimbo

Limbo Jimbo Well-Known Member

My biggest concern is the money we dumping in too foreign economy's from us buying is only helping to do what . (1) Make them a stronger economy , a stronger nation , not that the workers prosper with higher wages or better working condition's bet the profits not passed on to them. (2) as I still work part time many these foreign countrys operate better than us , think about this your flight leaves Lax for say Semarang. first stop Dubai or Hong Cong for lay over . when you board your next flight you load from the back the aircraft forward and once landed forward debarks first , America we load like loading a cattle car . so really stuff some the countrys we could learn a lot from them . and I am American all the way , I have spent up to 11 month's in foreign country's with learning what the people deal with in reality . 12 hr's more work for few dollar's a day . sorry got off track but yes reality is not from a vacation book ,most is paint Rosie buy from country's who hate us are friend's as long as we are on giveing and buying end . which may not be a true statement but way I see it. sorry for side tracking but almost one them moments lot better not said , Hawaii is pretty well owned by the jap's.

bill460 likes this.
  15. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So! What cheap knives do you use??

sharps4590 and Limbo Jimbo like this.