The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Power pistol was made expressly for 9mm and .40 S&W. It has a wide range of loads and is fairly clean. It also flows and measures well.

I use 6.0 gr for 115 gr. 9mm and 6.2 gr for 180 gr .40 smith. Those are moderate loads and are very accurate. I like being able to use one powder for two calibers. It keeps things simple and there is no chance of mixing powder since it's the only one I have.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
My first suggestion would be to use small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers. In the data published by Hodgdon, Longshot gives the highest velocities throughout the entire range of bullet weights. It also does this without raising pressures beyond industry norms.

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
The first thing that popped into my head was pretty much the same as Twicepop - why small rifle primers, but deacon man might be right. I have never loaded a 165 grain, usually i do the 155 grain Berry's with either titegroup or AA#5.

I just went by my LGS a few minutes ago to check out the primer and powder situation. He had plenty of both but not the powder that I use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deacon Man is right I can't find any small pistol primers.But I talk to a friend and another reloader. They both use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers Just reduce your amount of powder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
add on to previous post useing small rifle primers depends on the strength of the hammer spring since the small rifle primer is harder than a small pistol primer

·
Registered
745 Posts
small rifle primers will work fine,, but , check your load workup,, different manufactures of primers are hotter then others,, so dont start with hot loads, work it up again,, as for powder i prefer 231 the last couple of yrs,, seems to give me or at least the guns i use, a more consistant and accurate group,, for me power pistol seems to favor hot loadings,, lower load seem to vary too much for me,, unique works great just dont like the dirt it leaves behind,,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.