The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a few jams today. i had to get a screwdriver out to open the slide inorder to get the bullet out. out of about 200 rounds i had 7 jams, with my ruger P95. my sons gun a taurus PT92 shot all reloads fine. it was my gun that had issues today. this is the first time i had this happen to me. can anyone tell me what went wrong or what i did wrong with the reloading process. the bullets didnt chamber all the way and you can see a line toward the bottom of the shell. the bullets point to the spots in the pictures. it was very hard to get the bullets out once they were jammed. like i said i had to use a screwdriver. any comments would be helpful and appreciated. they all have a OAL of 1.135" so i dont think thats the problem. The bullets would not go in the barrel all the way it would stop as in the picture. The gouge marks on the shell are from me trying to open the slide. No damage to the gun.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Looks to me as if the sizing die is not set down to the shell holder?

What brand of dies are you using?

Are you seating and crimping in one step?

Have you measured your crimp, too much crimp might buckle/bulge the case?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sizing die is a carbide RCBS. I do believe I did seat and crimp in one stage for some, no all. Maybe 75 then I went back to single stages cuz I found different size shells. O it was easier that way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm also going back and checking every bullet I made to see if it falls in the barrel like it should. All the stuff I'm doing is loads I made last yr and everything so far is fine. The rounds I shot today I made last month. Or a few wks ago.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It appears to be like steve4102 said the case isn't being sized all the way down. Put the ram all the way up on your press, screw the die down until it touches the shell holder. Then back it of 1/4 of a turn and tighten the lock ring. This should size you cases the proper ammount for easy chambering. Crimping should be done as an extra step after bullet seating. Lee make a factory crimp die with a carbide ring in it to iron out bulges like you have. Do this and set your crimp diameter at .375" +/- .0005", measued at the case mouth with a bullet seated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright got it. Thanks. It was a pain in the ash getting them out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Do you know where the brass came from ? The resizing issue I agree, but those look like there is quite a bulge toward the base, as if they were fired previously in an unsupported chamber and missed the resizing process all together.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Range brass or my brass I shot from new ammo. Like I said earlier I went thru all my ammo I made nd only found one shell like those. It seemed to be only with the lead rounds I just made and with berrys bullets. No hollow points or FMJ rounds. I went thru 700 and all fit fine in the barrel except 1. Plus what happened today. But why did the taurus shoot the rounds good?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
But why did the taurus shoot the rounds good?
Sloppy chamber in the Taurus?

Did you try and fire some of the offending rounds in the Taurus? They might have had issues as well.

Did you check your sizing die set up yet. Is it screwed down to tough the shell holder?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Steve102 probably solved your problem with bulged cases. I had similar problems early on and used the 9mm cylinder from my Blackhawk as a gauge for all the reloaded 9's. If it fits the cylinder, it shoots in anything.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm gunna set up the station now and make sure it's all good. No I didn't try to shoot the bad rounds thru the taurus. I'm just kinda guessing that it would have got some bad rounds too. It would be funny if my gun only got the bad rounds. But there's also that chance the ruger only got them I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts