The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Covid 19, I started reloading again and pullout out my old reloading equipment and purchased some additional items last year before the crazy prices for new a used equipment. Stopped reloading before internet was created and there wasn't Youtube or forums to learn. This was due buying a difficult first time to reloading progressive (RCBS Green Machine 38/357) that wasn't the best press for a first time reloader. After my first 357 squib shooting in the mountains, tried to use a #2 pencil to push out the bullet and the pencil broke inside. Got if fixed and lost interest in reloading since ammo was still priced reasonable. After 25+ years later, I got it working now but it's really not being used. Now have Lee Loadmaster and Herters presses and reload 357, 9mm, 223 and 30-06.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,597 Posts
Welcome to TFF and the second addiction.

I started out with an RCBS progressive press and, being careful, I've loaded thousands of .357 rounds. No squibs so far.;)

All the best, and we're here to answer your questions and help any way we can. And we're here to learn too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to TFF and the second addiction.

I started out with an RCBS progressive press and, being careful, I've loaded thousands of .357 rounds. No squibs so far.;)

All the best, and we're here to answer your questions and help any way we can. And we're here to learn too.
There is always a first for everything. I have done about 1K (RCBS primers) with my Hornady hand primer tool and one went off (Remington 7 1/2) and that got my full attention. The primer looked perfect and 223 / 556 was Dillon swagged. I now swag and as precaution cut a little of the brass off.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like you I started reloading again though only on a hand held old Lyman 310 and the RCBS Rockchuker from the 1950s. One of these days I'll bring the old Dillon Square Deal up and get it going again. I had a 550 but foolishly let it go years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Sometimes even trying to be as careful as you can mistakes happen . I had my only squib with a Lee 9mm whack a mole loader . Nothing bad happened . Had loaded many rounds before it happened and many many more afterwards . It has always stuck in my head even now with my single or 4 stage press . Sometimes a small mistake can help humble you that way you stay on your toes with things . Glad your enjoying it again and welcome to TFF .

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
Welcome back....kinda gets in your blood, huh.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
There is always a first for everything. I have done about 1K (RCBS primers) with my Hornady hand primer tool and one went off (Remington 7 1/2) and that got my full attention. The primer looked perfect and 223 / 556 was Dillon swagged. I now swag and as precaution cut a little of the brass off.
At the price of primers these days I champher & swag all my 223/556 brass whether it needs it or not. I've never had one go off but don't want to crush any.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
there should be!

rick
Yeah....but you'd have to go to that first meeting and admit "My name is Vic and I'm a handloader". I can do that at home and not suffer withdrawls or contend with trying to stop something I can't...and don't want to!!!...... :giggle:

·
TFF Chaplain
20,597 Posts
Yeah....but you'd have to go to that first meeting and admit "My name is Vic and I'm a handloader".
I think I would say something like that as a mark of achievement, not repentance.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You wont save any ting reloading but in times like these you will be able to shoot/hunt unlike some others.

I hope reloaders will volunteer for club members/other shooters to help em(supervise) so they can have ammo and shoot.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,597 Posts
I hope I am in the right place. Hello, my name is Frank and I am also a handloader. I am currently in a 50 step program. Only because I'm loading a box of 44 magnums. Thank you for letting me into your meeting.
Welcome to TFF from the UK!!

You'll fine plenty of friends here and lots of help, and we are always ready to hear from others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts