Reloading 101

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Trophy 2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Agreed, same here, I'll bow out now.

2. Trophy 2000

Trophy 2000 Member

I had a friend work that load for me. That Roger is just too heavy for me now. I want to work my own load for a Winchester model 70 feather wt stainless in the 300 wsm. I'm thinking of using the new Hornady ELD-X in 200 grain. I didn't mean to imply that it was my load in the 300 win mag. I sure didn't mean to offend anyone, for this I'm truly sorry.

3. SteveM

SteveM Well-Known Member

For hunting if you are shooting ~400 yards then the ELD-X is probably fine. Personally I like tougher and/or bonded bullets at the closer ranges we see in my area. Supposedly the ELD-X is also a match bullet so you might get the accuracy you're looking for too. You thew me off with the 100 yard hunting application because the first thing that came to my mind was a 30-30 lever gun, not a 300 Win Mag tack driver.

Since you already know how your rifles shoot with a load a friend made for you why not work with your friend to get you to be able to duplicate it before moving on to refining your process?

Do you intend to headspace off the belt or the shoulder?

Trophy 2000 likes this.
  4. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm thinking you're buried deep in the left hemisphere of your brain. Big engineer mind or at least should have been. Best to start with the basics and learn what equipment you'd like to add after gaining some experience. But heck, if you have money to burn knock yourself out. Me, I need to be a bit more careful with my funds.

Glad you joined and looking forward to seeing you around.

Larry Isaacs and m77user like this.
  5. Trophy 2000

Trophy 2000 Member

The Winchester model 70 feather wt in 300wsm has 20 break in rounds through it. I haven't mounted a scope on it yet. I've had the gun for a few years now and decided that it would be my first gun to work a load for. I have no idea how it shoots other than it is free floated, pillar blocked bedded and a lot less weight than the Ruger Number One. I'm a single shot typ hunter and will never chamber with the clip. My loads will be chamber fed and my oal length will just be off the lands . Very excited about reloading.

6. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Member

My advice: "Read, read read!"

ABC's of Reloading by James
    Handloading for Competition by Zediker

Are a good couple to start with. I also find the Lyman reloading book (latest edition is the 50th) has some good reloading 101 stuff in it as well.

Learn to walk before you run. Your high-end tools will probably get some use at some point, but as others have said, start slowly.

Best of luck! It's and addictive (and expensive) hobby!

Trophy 2000 likes this.
  7. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

Well, you got the shootin' side down!:D I always suggest to a new reloader to K.I.S.S., no matter how long they have been associated with shooting, but not into reloading. Extensive shooting experience is a bonus, but not a substitute for step by step learning to reload. I taught a few apprentices in my Auto Electrician career at a large West Coast city utility, and I found that lasting learning takes place when the process is started simple.

Larry Isaacs and Trophy 2000 like this.