The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out there has done any reloading for the 300 BlkOut. I've been reloading for a while, working up a new load using unconventional powder choice for this caliber. That's what I do. I can't get to the range for another week, and I want to throw together about 100 rounds- Have any of you ever used Blue Dot powder in a 300 BlkOut load? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,178 Posts
I do load .300 BO but since Blue Dot is not in my manuals, I don't use it.

I have used H110, IMR 4227 (on 125 and 150 grain bullets) but mostly Accurate #9, because it seems to be more accurate.

If you are trying something new, why "throw together" so many rounds at one time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do load .300 BO but since Blue Dot is not in my manuals, I don't use it.

I have used H110, IMR 4227 (on 125 and 150 grain bullets) but mostly Accurate #9, because it seems to be more accurate.

If you are trying something new, why "throw together" so many rounds at one time?
Well, hard to explain my logic, but unfortunately I have "some" time to reload, and "very little" time to hit the range to try the loads out. So I usually end up doing a slow progression of powder weight to reach a "Max" load, start shooting the low end and work my way up. I am careful & conservative, so I haven't overloaded anything Yet. I usually hit a really good sweet spot High, or am left needing a little more on the top end. Safe bet is the good bet. So, I load enough to make it worth the trip to the range, or the country property. Thanks for your good info, and for not calling me an idiot!;-)

·
Registered
140 Posts
TGR---are you loading sub or supersonic?
If sub, PM me and I can give you much data.
Don't shoot light fast bullets so I will be of little use if that is your direction. By the way, I have never seen Blue Dot used in 300 Whisper/BLKT as I suspect it is not fast enough.
Gary

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Blue Dot is not a good choice for .300...with about 10-12 powders that are perfect matches-either super or sub,I wouldn't bother.This cartridge has been tried with many powders,some work great-others complete failures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TGR---are you loading sub or supersonic?
If sub, PM me and I can give you much data.
Don't shoot light fast bullets so I will be of little use if that is your direction. By the way, I have never seen Blue Dot used in 300 Whisper/BLKT as I suspect it is not fast enough.
Gary
Thanks Gary. I am using the Blue Dot as a substitute powder for one called "2400" - according to a chart in one of my Lyman reloading manuals, Blue Dot is almost identical in burn rate. So I have substituted the powder, using a lighter load weight & worked my way up to the charge listed for the 2400. This is also using a 120 grain bullet, aiming for 2200 fps. I am very interested in your knowledge of subs though. I load as many subs as I do supers, though I don't have any of my data here right now. Thanks for the reply.
TgR

Blue Dot is not a good choice for .300...with about 10-12 powders that are perfect matches-either super or sub,I wouldn't bother.This cartridge has been tried with many powders,some work great-others complete failures.
Thanks Zant. I appreciate your input. I have already built a good number of these and will be trying them at the range soon. Will report results, good or bad, as soon as I shoot them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
FWIW:
Powder experimentation can be done, but some times it can be hazardous as you know. I forget the powder, but when you start hedging the max barrier, it can go erratic and the pressure curve really jumps to critical in a hurry. Below (1) are some examples of a powder that was supposed to be good at one time for a certain application, then problem arose so hence the warning.

Then there is http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm who wrote about 180 gr in 40sw. You can find these examples all over the interweb. Some are valid and some may be not so. They obviously experienced something wonky.

Starting at some preconceived start may in actuality be critical pressure.

Point being, don't experiment. Leave that to the enga-neers to nerd out on this stuff and can keep the rest of us safe. If you can't load by the manual, don't load. Losing an eye, finger, scarring or shrapnel to another person just isn't worth it.

(1) Blue Dot Warning
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx
Safety Notice
At Alliant Powder, we take safety seriously. That’s why we periodically test our products in different situations to be sure our use recommendations stay current. Check here for any safety notes or recall information. Stay safe and keep accurate.
Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:
•Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
•Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks drymag. That's solid information. I will be very cautious when I Shoot these off-menu loads. I plan on starting the ladder at the lowest level I can and work my way up. Just fyi, although this particular combo is new, I have done a lot of loads in similar calibers that were totally off-menu (using powders that were not in the loading manuals for the caliber/bullet weight I was loading). I do not do this recklessly, nor do I do it for gits & shiggles. I choose to use off-menu powders because 1) I cannot always get the powder that is recommended, 2) I believe that after I have done due diligence in research and thorough testing of a new powder/load combination, AFTER I'm sure that it is safe, that others might also benefit from having another safe and effective load to choose from, and 3) I rarely, if ever, push any of my loads to a high velocity/high pressure limit. Believe me, I don't want to ruin my treasured firearms, or my face, or my fingers, anymore than you would. I pay top dollar for my equipment, my face is ugly enough as it is, and my fingers are a critical part of me making a living to care for my family. Rest assured, I will never offer advice to anyone that they should use any load combination that I believe to be even remotely dangerous. Again, I'm not the type to push the limits. Most of my ammo falls well below SAMMI max. load pressure & velocity specs. Hopefully this will ensure you of my intent to remain safe, and away from recklessness. Thanks
TgR

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update drymag,
Just fired one of my hand loads (120 gr. Barnes TAC-TX .300Blk pushed by 14.2 grains of Blue Dot (Alliant Powder). And a commercially produced 220 gr. Gemtech subsonic round. Both cycled & ejected without a flaw. Both left slightly flattened primers. The 14.2 grain load looks like it will be a max-powder charge which I will back down from to 14.0 grains and retest at least 20-40 rounds before I would go any further and build a larger number of rounds for hunting with & target shooting. The primer punch does look a tiny bit puckered & a little too flat. No other signs of over-pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reply to gdmoody,
I finally got to shoot a few rounds this afternoon. my unsanctioned recipe for a 125gr. Barnes TAC-TX bullet and Blue Dot powder went pretty well, so far. I'm going to back down my powder charge .2 gr. to an even 14.0 grains of Blue Dot. I looks like it should fling the 125gr. pill at heart-stopping mph, enough & plenty for some white tail or pigs this coming season. Btw, the cases are filled right to about 95% with 14.0 grains. They cycled beautifully. Let me know if you decide to give these a shot.
Thanks
TgR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts