The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading for many years. But for small cal. I have always
left the empties on the on the ground and not bothered to reload them.
Now things are different and I've started loading small stuff.
My book is limited in .380.
Does anyone have some recipes for 88 gn. JHP .380?
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I use 90gr data from the Hornady manual for the Remington 88gr JHP.
3.5gr of WW231 works good in my IJ-70 Mak (.380ACP). One of my IJ-70s will shoot em passably well, but the other one just plain don't like those bullets at all.

Quite honestly, I seldom reload jacketed bullets for my two .380 Maks though. I usually load for 95gr lead RN for both plinking and small-game loads. 3.1gr of WW231
Many years ago I got some 100gr lead TC from National Bullet Company that will hit bunnies like a ton of bricks pushed by WW231. MUCH better than a round-nose profile bullet. NBC went out of business and I haven't found a similar weight/style made by anyone else since though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I have a LEE manual that only lists 3.1 gn. Red Dot for 88 gn. & 90 gn. JHP. I have been playing em' with and find that these little "%&#@&" are pretty temperamental. Give me the BIG .44s and .45s any day.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I reload this but it is barely cost effective.... the bigger stuff is much less costly to reload.

Why are you starting to reload the small stuff? Is it hard to buy locally now? Have prices gone way up? Do you need a background check to buy ammo? ...another reason?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, I know! That's why I always stuck to the BIG stuff.
But times are diff. Last week I found a deal in a local shop.
Over 300 rnds. of Rem. 88 gn. JHP and a set of RCBS .380 dies.
with a 9MM sizing die and some other stuff, odds and ends
.357 and .45 both lead and jacketed "cheap". $50.00 for all.
So I am learning the small stuff. 9MM doesn't seem so tricky.
It's all good!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I reload this but it is barely cost effective.... the bigger stuff is much less costly to reload.

Why are you starting to reload the small stuff? Is it hard to buy locally now? Have prices gone way up? Do you need a background check to buy ammo? ...another reason?
I reload the .380 because you can't buy decent small-game loads for that caliber and those little IJ-70 Maks I've got are pretty darned accurate with cast lead bullets. I'm loading em for less than half price of factory FMJ ammo.
Besides, I just plain enjoy reloading regardless of the caliber. I try to have dies and components on hand for every caliber that I own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.