The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not received by Hornady reloading book yet so I am posting to see if someone could look up and give me the information. I have found a site with the some information but want to make sure it is correct before moving on. I will be using a Hornady 230 gr. 45 ACP FMJ-RN, Titegroup powder and CCI 300 primers, I believe my OAL from dummy rounds is around 1.260 firing out of a 1911 45 auto 5" barrel. I have the following and would like the min and max grains, OAL (which varies between weapons). I also have some Speer 230gr, TMJ-RN. I will be using for plinking and work up a good load for accuracy.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Lyman book doesn't show anything for Titegroup with that bullet size at all. It does show titegroup w ith 225gr and 1.272"oal with a max load of 5.1. Some other powders were also 5.1, 5.4 with a 230gr bullet.

·
Super Moderator
28,081 Posts
According to the Hornady 7th edition, you're .030 longer than they suggest. If it fits your mag, feeds and ejects..... give it try.

I don't normally post powder weights because I don't want to be responsible for typos or misreadings but I do have my manual in front of me. It shows 4.3 gr. starting and 5.2 gr. max. DOUBLE CHECK IT!!

www.hornady.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, I will recheck my OAl I could be off but doing the plunk test it worked, may have read my calipers wrong when posting. I am getting from 4.2 to 5.2 from others so at least I know I am in the ball park.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
YEs 4.8 is max for 230 gr bullet using titegroup in .45ACP. I recommend 4.5 and stay with it. Its one of my favorite loads.

·
Super Moderator
28,081 Posts
That depends on where you get your data.

Hornady says 5.2gr is max for 230gr FMJ.

Attached is the page straight out of my Hornady 7th edition.

View attachment 73555
Yup, that's where the numbers I posted came from..
Tested in a Colt Gov't Model, 5" barrel, 1 in 16" twist.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I get my data from Hodgdon, since hodgdon makes titegroup, I figure its the best place to get data. 4.5 gr under a 230 gr lead bullet is giving me 820 fps, so I figure its more than good.

·
Super Moderator
28,081 Posts
And I posted the Hornady info because the OP asked about a specific bullet. When I load with Hornady, Nosler, Speer, Barnes or Sierra, I prefer to use their data.

G

·
I take them all in and just find one that is close to the middle and go for it. I don't like that hodgdon doesn't tell you what they tested the load in. Was it a universal reciever or was it an actual pistol. I have also found that hodgdon is always on the lighter side of of the bell curve for load data.

I am not saying I am right and JLA is wrong. This is just something we as handloaders deal with all the time. If you look at Sierra's load for a 165gr in a 30-06 it will be different than a 165gr Nosler or Hornady bullet of roughly the same build.

This is where having more than one source for load data is a big plus. I mainly do this, I find the lowest low and the highest high and I split the difference for the powder. Then check to make sure it is not over or under any min or max. I have hit both before and had to adjust my loads. I haven't blown anything up yet.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I don't like that hodgdon doesn't tell you what they tested the load in. Was it a universal reciever or was it an actual pistol. I have also found that hodgdon is always on the lighter side of of the bell curve for load data.

Hodgdon always uses a lab pressure test barrel for their data.
Like you, I do wish they would mention that on their manual site just so folks know. I have suggested that during some of my correspondence with them a couple of times.

That is one reason why their charges are typically lower than most of the bullet maker's manuals. A test chamber will be built to the minimum extreme dimensions of the cartridge's specs (SAAMI or whatever) so pressures will spike higher/faster for a given velocity compared to a max-spec or loose chamber.

I agree with ya. Multiple data sources are a good thing to use.
I generally try to start with bullet maker specific data first, then I'll cross ref back against the powder maker's sites. Don't ask me why I prioritize bullets over powder...that's just how I learned many years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts