The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I've asked about this and was told to get a 124 or 147 gr lead bullet. I did get a 125gr RN bullet. I was also told to keep the MV under 1000. The data I have for Hodgdon 125 is for a LCN I believe that's a lead cone nose if I'm wrong let me know. First can I use that data? Second the start charge has a 1000 MV and the end charge has a 1094 MV. I only have titegroup powder. Will I lead the barrel with that data if I can use it? I do have WSF too but no data for 125gr. Just 124gr.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The conical design is called a TC (truncated cone). Many hollowpoint bullet designs for handguns are based on the TC profile. Its sort of the inherent accuracy and wide meplat of a SWC design but better feeding like a RN since the meplat is blended and the bullet soesnt bear the sharp shoulder of the SWC to hang up on feed ramps.

Use data for 124 gr or 125 gr with 125 gr lead for the 9mm, just start low and work up. Aside from the heavier bullet using slightly less powder it is also wirth noting that lead bullets of equal weight to jacketed actually use mroe powder due to less friction causing less pressure. thusd making it safe to use jacketed data for lead bullets but not vice versa.. Generally speaking of course, i am certain, given the plethora of reloading data out there that there are a few exceptions..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good. I did not know you can use jacket data for lead and be safe. Thanks. And I always work up slw.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
you will be A-ok then. And the best part.. have fun with it.. Shooting is what its all about anyway..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. It sure is.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Lyman 4th Edition. Lead bullet data.
9MM Lugar

120gr Lyman RN
1.065 OAL
Titegroup, Start=3.2gr, Max = 3.8gr.

120gr Lyman SWC.
1.110 OAL
Titegroup, Start = 3.3gr, Max = 3.7gr.

124gr RCBS CN
1.050 OAL
Titegroup, Start = 3.4gr, Max = 3.8gr.

Lyman 125gr HP
1.010 OAL
Titegroup, Start = 3.7gr, Max = 4.1gr

·
Registered
603 Posts
My only point would be to be careful about using lead in a Glock or HK. I believe Glock does not want you to shoot lead in their guns due to the type of rifling. HK uses a similar process.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a ruger p95 and a taurus pt92

1 - 10 of 10 Posts