The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was made a gift of a remmie mod. 7400(?) pump in 30-06. I am looking for advice for bullet type and powder. Mostly concerned with accuracy rather than FPS of the bullet. I will be using this rifle for deer hunting so really would appreciate your input for reloading.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
do you have reloading books? do you reload?

if yes.. what projectile brands are you currently using? Many stik to the proj's they have exp with.

for instance if you reload with many hornady, sierra and speer projectiles., and thus should have their reload manuals.. then I'd check their offerings.

I reload for 30-06 and am currently using 150g and 180g spire point and spire point boat tail. imr4064 is my stale powder.. but I use others including varget, imr 4350 and 4895.. etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have reloading books? do you reload?

if yes.. what projectile brands are you currently using? Many stik to the proj's they have exp with.

for instance if you reload with many hornady, sierra and speer projectiles., and thus should have their reload manuals.. then I'd check their offerings.

I reload for 30-06 and am currently using 150g and 180g spire point and spire point boat tail. imr4064 is my stale powder.. but I use others including varget, imr 4350 and 4895.. etc.
Thanks Soundguy...I do reload but have never done so for a pump or auto. I'm trying to find out what other pump shooters may find as a good load. This could help me.

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
some people use slightly different resize die or technique vs reloading for bolt action or pump/semi auto.. otherwise.. the laoding is nostly the same, with the exception of the garand.. and if you crimp or not in the pump / s/a etc..

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
cowboyinmontana:

A Remington pump centerfire rifle is a bolt gun operated by a pumping action. Like any magazine fed gun, you have to make sure the ammo you make fits the magazine. Using standard reloads made from recipes you find in manufacturer's reloading manuals works fine. As every gun is different you have to find the load your particular gun likes best for accuracy and it may be miles away from your buddy's exact same gun or anyone else's 30-06 load. Testing reveals what the gun likes.

Because you do not have to rely on inertia or gas pressure to operate the Remington pump, your choice of powders and bullets is as wide as any bolt gun and not as restrictive as with a semi-auto gun. Reloading manuals is where the answers are.

You should not have to use special small base sizing dies. That MAY be required for some semi-autos, but not a pump gun.

But I would recommend using the LEE factory Crimp Die. Any gun that is not hand fed ammo one at a time can suffer bullet set back by having to be held in the magazine during firing and by just the action of feeding into the chamber with mechanical advantage like you get with the pump. The LEE FCD crimps horizontally around the case eliminating the problems associated with getting the ordinary crimp die set up correctly. Follow the direction with the die and you'll get good crimps even if all your cases are not exactly the same length (but they still must be between the trim-to and maximum case length after sizing).

Good luck. I really like my Remington pump in 35 Whelan. I think you'll like yours in 30-06. I once knew some Easterners that regularly hunted in the woods with their Remington pumps and loved them.

LDBennett

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I recently was made a gift of a remmie mod. 7400(?) pump in 30-06. I am looking for advice for bullet type and powder. Mostly concerned with accuracy rather than FPS of the bullet. I will be using this rifle for deer hunting so really would appreciate your input for reloading.
Thanks
I load for my grandsons 7600. I use Hornady 165 gr. BTSP. IMR 4064 is its best load with fed. 210 GM primers. The load is near maximum from the sixth edition Hornady manual. Start low and work up carefully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts