The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to go long range with my 7.62x63 rifle. Shooting all day is an expensive habit. So I need to reload I know this will also offer me more consistant ammo. I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a free pdf on reloading. I mean basicly a reloading for dummy's book bc I have no clue where 2 start. lol thanks guys

· TFF Chaplain
22,899 Posts
One place to start would be with the place recommended in this sticky:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=105549 .

There may be other useful items for you in the other stickeys.

One thing for sure: Do lots of reading, ask lots of questions. If someone near you reloads, see if he will show you the ropes, and maybe help you get set up.

The ABC's of Reloading is referred to by many here on the forum as a good book to start with. Not free, but many will say well worth it. There are other good references out there. Several guys here on the forum have a small library of reference books. Investing in a good reloading reference is well worth the price.

You could check You-tube, but be careful--as Abraham Lincoln said, don't believe everything you see on the internet. :p

I'm sure you have browsed threads on this part of the forum for pointers...lots of good people here with lots of experience and knowledge are glad to share their expertise. Nobody in this forum will put you down for asking questions, no matter how dumb they may seem to you, so ask away. We all started from where you are now, we all asked questions and got help.

The one thing you don't want to do is make duff loads that destroy your rifle and possibly you and anyone near you with it.

Reloading is fun, rewarding, and addictive, but you need to know what you are doing.

· Registered
981 Posts
Ditto's to Black Eagle's post. Check the stickys at the top of this forum. First book should be The ABC's of Reloading, it covers all aspects of reloading. After that you'll need a couple reloading manuals (Sierra's is a favorite of mine).

The good news, if you are only going to do precision rifle ammo a single stage press is what you'll need (the cheapest way to go).

· Registered
3,128 Posts
I just printed and organized over 400 pages of reloading info from Jack's link (in the thread posted by BlackEagle), got three large binders full of goodies in document protectors.

Many of the powder manufacturers have freebies on their sites.

The caliber specific books are very good too, it's a compilation of most of the manuals on one or two calibers.
Here's a link to a bunch for the '06 (.30-06 correct?)

http://loaddata.com/loads/30-06caliberloads.html

· Registered
1,514 Posts
although a pdf is a great thing i would recommend the purchase of a manual.the pictures sometimes is all you need to understand a principal.i have found that the lyman manuals are great for beginners and the the seasoned reloaders.if you need to buy a used one im sure you could find one possibly on ebay?do not think you will learn it all from a book because you wont.i have been reloading for at least 40 years and im still learning.the other thing i will suggest you never take for granted is any reloading info re charge weight etc unless you can verify the info in a manual.this is your life were talking about or possibly your sight or someone else that may shoot your reloads.i suggest you start with only one caliber and get it down pat before starting others.i think you will enjoy the experience of reloading just be safe.nuff said. old semperfi

· Registered
5,235 Posts
Without a doubt, it is a wise investment to own at least one and preferrably two reloading manuals to have on-hand. The stickys and asking questions will get you the info you need to make your choice in a press.

What rifle are ya shooting?

· Registered
546 Posts
If you will only be interested in reloading for the one rifle caliber you would be hard pressed to get a better deal than the Lee Anniversary single stage press kit. Normally found for under $100 online and contains just about everything you'll need but calipers, dies and components.

There are numerous videos on the Lee website plus youtube. Here is the link to the lee self-help vids to give you a good idea of the process on various types of their machines:

http://leeprecision.com/help-videos.html

· Registered
3,484 Posts
Also Dave, about buying manuals.....
Buy the newest as opposed to 'old, unwanted' ones
[on ebay] to assure the recent data.
Data changes over time, with one critical part for
example.....pressures......[old style=CUP and new style=PSI]
Also new powders,projectiles, etc for versatility.
There is an enormous wealth of info in this forum already....
just waiting on you to take the time and read, and many here to answer
questions.....but get some fresh manuals also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.