1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
polishshooter
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(9/18/01 8:28:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Reloading the 8x56RH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, I don't remember where we talked about it, here, another forum, or maybe another board, but I just got an e-mail from a guy who looks in here but is not yet a member, (Don't ask me why, he seems at least as intelligent as...well...any of us!) who said Lee just came out with dies, he ordered his from Midway, $21.00!!!!!

That's a far cry from the $80 RCBS wanted for custom.

Case forming dies from 7.62x54R run like $12...

Now if anybody comes up with "normal" priced .329 buddits, I may be in BUSINESS!!! Cheapest I've seen is Buffalo Arms, like $49/100, $43/50 for SP.

Do you think there might be a growing interest now, since so many decent 95s and 95/34s are available so cheap?

Mine is STILL the nicest CR I own, and I didn't even have my CR when I bought it...
Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

Spanish Cruffler
(9/19/01 5:31:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reloading the 8x56RH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like the last hurdle is finding the cheap buddits. I haven't looked at a 8x56RH lately, what kind of primer does it take? Some of the older goofball calibers had slightly off-sized primers.

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(9/19/01 7:59:06 am)
You could get a custom mold and shoot cast bullets not the most economical proposal but measured across a lifetime seems more reasonable

polishshooter
(9/19/01 9:46:34 am)
Well, all the available surplus, which is drying up, is Berdan, so you're out of luck there, BUT you can either buy new cases from Huntingtons or Buffalo for like $80/100, or form your own easily from 7.62x54. That's what I plan to do.

I ASSUME reloadable x54 like from S&B take standard large rifle primers, don't they?

And if WW ever comes out with factory ammo for the MN like they announced earlier this year, cases shouldn't be a problem to get. I guess when you reform them, the only thing changed is the angle of the shoulder, I've heard the expanded mouth from firing the x54 opens it up to what it needs to be for the slightly larger x56 bullet, sizing die handles it fine.

X54 rounds cycle through the action as is, so case dimensions/rim size are about right as is...

I think if enough people buy up these sweet straight pulls, there may be enough interest in making the cheap bullets, heck, maybe even loading factoy. They would make a DANDY Brush carbine for Deer.

And they weigh alot less than an M44....

Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

polishshooter
(9/19/01 9:37:34 pm)
OK, my buddy Todd, who must be shy because he doesn't post (I'm trying to shame him into posting, he would be a good addition...he likes Mosins too, but not as much as his Steyr) says he doesn't think the RCBS case forming die is much more than an addition to the RCBS sizing die, may not work with the Lee...

He thinks he can just form them with the sizing die, with a lot of elbow grease...

I came up with an idea, which is sometimes scary...

Since the x54 round cycles and chambers as is, why not merely necksize when reloading, load a .329 buddit over a medium load and fireform the cases?

Maybe I should post over in reloading...see ya, later.

Oh yeah, I checked Midways site, the 8X56RH dies are $20.49.

bandera1
(9/24/01 9:30:03 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Reloading the 8X56R Hungarian
ok, Polish- I'm posting :) Todd

as you know, you and I have worked this out off list and are pretty sure the 7.62x54R Russian will fireform into 8x56R Hungarian easily enough. Sellier & Bellot has loaded ammo for reasonable prices (I'm looking at CheaperthanDirt's catalog).

still a small problem for the "buddets". Anybody out there done any paper patched loading? I'm wondering if .323 would patch up to .329? Wideners has CHEAP 8mm lead bullets. I haven't slugged my M95, but read in Cartridges of the World that the bore is about .315 and the groves are .331, so the .323 slugs should grip enough and paper to finish. suggested velocity? any advise?

the other option is Buffalo Arms .329 jacketed for $26/100.

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(9/25/01 8:53:33 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Reloading the 8X56R Hungarian
Hey Polish
try this site

www.corbins.com/bmakers.htm

one of those listed even lives in Indiana

polishshooter
(9/25/01 10:59:46 am)
'Bout time, Todd! Welcome! Don't be afraid to post on other topics, too.

Thanks, Fred! Great site, added to my favorites. One even listed .329, and he's from Michigan, so maybe I can pick up if I order any. (Where is "Union, MI?")

I cc'd you on my e-mail to the guy Todd, let me know if you got it.
I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

kdubaz
(9/25/01 12:39:23 pm)
A qualified Welcome, Bandera1 -

We gotta watch Polish's buddies, to be sure they haven't acquired a brown patina fetish as he has! He gets sorta strange at times, always going on 'bout them Ruusshian guns that squirt buddits out sideways. Anyways, glad to have you aboard, if it gives someone for Polish to talk to!!!
Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
(9/25/01 8:52:05 pm)
OK, Kdub, you gotta get the stories straight...

They do NOT squirt out sideways, they go out frontways just fine, it's only when those damn rototillers jump out in front when you are trying to make some noise and see the gigundous flame from a 44 on New Years Eve at midnight that you have to watch out...

But then again, since I can get such a nice 4" group at 25 yards awfulhand with a tight sling with my SKS mebbe they DO go out sideways....

TallTLynn
(9/25/01 9:04:08 pm)
Welcome bandera1 - please do continue posting here as we love to new people!

ruffitt
(9/27/01 4:50:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Reloading the 8x56RH

- bandera1, as the newest to our little corner of cyberspace, I'd like to say and The Firearms Forum.

Don't be bashful, and soon.

visiting too often with the likes of these folks will turn you into a and you will have to your way out of here.

RuffItt

Tac401
Administrator
(9/27/01 6:56:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Reloading the 8x56RH
Welcome Aboard bandera1!
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

polishshooter
(9/27/01 11:15:31 pm)
Ruff, you DEFINITELY have too much time on your hands...

Still no reply from that email to that bulletmaker in Michigan, Todd...

Edited by: polishshooter at: 9/28/01 12:16:51 am

bandera1
(11/4/01 5:26:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Reloading the 8x56RH
whew, what a greeting. kinda scary.

anyway, have my Lee dies and some 7.62x54Russian S&B rounds to touch off to serve as brass for the 8x56. still holding out on

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
Funny that this one got resurrected...

Since I posted this years ago I have acquired a NICE M95/34 really cheap, and am seriously considering turning it into the "Ultimate Scout Rifle."

I think I can make a Mosin Nagant "Scout" Mount work on it, and with cast bullets I think I can make it sing relatively cheaply.

I have about 200 rds of the decent Nazi ammo left for mine, but beaucoup reloadable 7.62x54 ammo left to form my own cases, along with reloading experience for the x54...

All I need is for Hornady to make the bullets available they use for the "Custom" 8x56RH ammo that I STILL find available for $22/20 at shows....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Grafs has the bullets in .329, PRVI has loaded ammo for around $20 for 20, I read an article about a guy who would run .357 cast lead bullets through his lee 8x56 bullet sizing die with good results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts