The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been busy the past several days researching reloading for 9mm and .40 S&W. I have reloaded in the past but my knowledge is way out of date and I've been trying to catch up a little.

I've put together a work flow document to use as a guide for purchasing and the steps in the reloading process. Basically I plan to have 9 different steps in three phases. The first phase is to de-prime and full length re-size to remove any bulges. The second phase is cleaning and drying the brass. The third phase is the actual reloading.

The work flow I've laid out is based on three key assumptions: First, removing the primers before wet cleaning with stainless steel pins will thoroughly clean the primer holes and not leave any residue that requires a second de-capping stage - second; full length re-sizing with the Lee bulge buster will not require a second re-sizing stage. Third, the powder though expansion die will correct any out-of-round lips on the cases that might have occurred during cleaning and drying.

If these assumptions are valid it will remove the requirement for de-capping and re-sizing during the reloading phase. That will free up one stage for the factory crimp die and allow use of a powder confirming stage.

I've attached a copy of my proposed work flow and the equipment required. I would appreciate your review and any comments, corrections, or suggestions. Hope I can get it right the first time around so any help would greatly appreciated. I have not made final equipment selections yet (except the tumbler), but I am leaning toward the Hornady AP progressive press.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like your attention to detail and scientific approach. Your attitude is in the right place as a beginner. In general if this method works great , I would recommend allowing yourself some room for discovery in the learning process; leave the door open for adaptation for things that work better or worse than you first thought. For example, I find a powder check die a complete waste of money; the LNL AP is designed to drop powder in station 3, the charged case then advances right under your nose for a visual confirmation. If you are not looking at what you are doing, or cannot focus then stop reloading and come back in the right mind frame. Depending on a powder cop is bad news IMHO. Good luck, the LNL AP is a great choice.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If I were intending to set up for pistol loading I would look at a good progressive like the Dillon. Dry tumbling your brass in a vibratory tumbler will have your brass looking like new without wet cleaning and drying, and unless you are loading brass fired from an unsupported chamber like a glock, you don't really need to do anything special during the loading process. I use a Dillon Square Deal B and the corncob media tumbled brass goes in at stage one and is puked out the other end ready to shoot. The powder measure is accurate to + - .1 gr and a taper crimp is all you need to finish your loaded rounds, so no trimming brass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts