The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow patriots. I am new to reloading and am loving it. I have a question for the pro's who have been doing reloading. I am using CB Bullets for 9mm luger round nose at 125 g. and have everything I need but good power supply. I have one pound of Hercules but will need more very soon and being that I am in Commieforina I want to get good power when and if I can find it to reload and not wast money and time with a brand that does not do the job. What do you use and what have you found to be the best and worst? For the 125g bullet what g. weight charge have you found to work best? Using a Sig 9mm Any and all help is very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
Welcome to the Firearms Forum. This will probably get moved over to the Ammo and Reloading Forum where it really needs to be.

What is a CB bullet? I am not familiar with that brand. I mostly use Berry's 115 grain bullets so I can't really help you on the 125 grainers.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I assume by 'power' you mean Powder. Unique is an old favorite. Power Pistol is a new favorite. There are scores of powders new and old in between that will suit you well. Make a list and buy what you find.

·
Registered
358 Posts
+1 for Power Pistol. I use that for 9mm and .380, Great powder, clean, accurate, and feeds well consistently from my Lee powder drop. I think JLA said it best when he said, " make a list and buy what you find".

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
HP-38 or Winchester 231 should be easy to find and work well

what is a CB bullet?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, welcome to TFF!

As Josh suggested, Power Pistol and Unique would be good choices.
Hodgdon HS-6 is another one that several local shooters have suggested for me to try.
I've been using Unique and BlueDot for 124gr/125gr bullets just because that's what I've got on hand. Both seem to be working good for me but I haven't done much loading for the 9mm yet so I don't have much experience with that caliber.

I would start with a list of the choices that you've got in your reloading manual and see what is available locally (or wherever you are shopping).

By Hercules, I will ask if you mean Alliant Herco.
Hercules is the old manufacturer's label (like DuPont or Hodgdon), which is now Alliant.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/herco.aspx
Unique, Power Pistol, and BlueDot are also Alliant powders.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sound like you may need a reloading manual. I'd suggest Lyman's 49th Edition. It has data a good variety of bullets and powders for 9mm. The manual also has an excellent "How To" section (I reloaded my first round in '69 and still occasionally scan the How To of my reloading manuals).

As mentioned above, there are many powders that work well in the 9mm...

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I hope you have better luck finding powders where you live. Been a long dry spell here in the High Plains of Texas, but I do still have a pound each of Win231, Unique, Power Pistol and a little Bullseye. Of course, I keep my H110 set aside for my .357's.

I do hope stocks ease up soon!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Titegroup, universal, clays, WSF are all good to me for the 9mm. Clays has mostly data for the 125gr LC bullet. But all work good.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Ive been experimenting with 700X too. Seems to work pretty good behind 124 grainers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been using 7.2gn of Bluedot with both 125gn Magnus lead bullets and 125gn Berrys Bullets. Read as many manuals as you can find. You can find quite a bit of data from powder manufactures online for free. Look at all of them to see what will work ok for you and never just use data from a person without checking all of the data first to make sure you know it will be safe.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Hey I was born in 1984.. :cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Another vote for Power Pistol. I load alot of cast 127RNs on 6g of PP. Stuff meters great, clean as most, and just does a good job. I use it in 9mm, .45, and dump 10g of it in the .357 with the 125g loads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts